Weingreen Grammar, Composition 32.6

A forum for discussion about writing in ancient Hebrew, and for practicing writing in Hebrew. If you post in this forum, you are inviting people to critique what you have written and suggest ways to improve it.

Private subforums can be created for groups who want to practice together without exposing their mistakes to the world, or this can be done in public.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Jason Hare

Weingreen Grammar, Composition 32.6

Post by Jason Hare »

Well, moving forward...
Thou (pronoun) hast created the heavens and the earth and the seas and all that is in them.
Notice that the word “thou” (that is, m.s. “you”) is in italics for emphasis. The personal pronoun should be explicit.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Re: Weingreen Grammar, Composition 32.6

Post by Jason Hare »

Hidden Hebrew Text

אַתָּה בָּרָ֫אתָ אֶת־הַשָּׁמַ֫יִם וְאֶת־הָאָ֫רֶץ אֶת־הַיַּמִּים וְאֶת־כָּל־אֲשֶׁר־בָּם׃
This is very similar to the phrase from the Ten Commandments (כִּ֣י שֵֽׁשֶׁת־יָמִים֩ עָשָׂ֨ה יְהוָ֜ה אֶת־הַשָּׁמַ֣יִם וכו׳). I chose to use “created” instead of “made,” and I added the personal pronoun for emphasis, as well as changing the verb to 2ms from 3ms.

By the way, וכו׳ is an abbreviation for וְכוּלֵי, which is how we say et cetera (etc. or &c.) in Hebrew.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
jordan17182

Post by jordan17182 »

Here is mine. I also used "to create." I am uncertain on the rendering of "seas" as singular or plural.
Hidden Hebrew Text

אַתָּה בָּרָאתָ אֶת־הַשּמַיִם וְאֶת־הָאָרֶץ וְאֶת־הַיַּמִּים וְאֶת־כָּל־אֶשֶר־בָּם
Last edited by jordan17182 on Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jordan Furutani
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Good catch on “seas” in the plural. I’ll correct that, too.

Notice, though, the difference between יַמִּים yammîm “seas” and יָמִים yāmîm “days.” The singular comes from the older monosyllabic diphthongal yawm, as we see in Arabic يَوْم, which went through monophthongization by which normally unstressed aw became ô (also, mawtmôṯ [unstressed] and → mā́weṯ [stressed]). The plural is apparently broken, with the drop of the dithphong completely.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
jordan17182

Post by jordan17182 »

Jason Hare wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:38 pm
Notice, though, the difference between יַמִּים yammîm “seas” and יָמִים yāmîm “days.” The singular comes from the older monosyllabic diphthongal yawm, as we see in Arabic يَوْم, which went through monophthongization by which normally unstressed aw became ô (also, mawtmôṯ [unstressed] and → mā́weṯ [stressed]). The plural is apparently broken, with the drop of the dithphong completely.
In addition to Arabic the word was loaned into Egyptian as ywm (Hieroglyphic: 𓇋𓇋𓏲𓅓). Although sometimes written without ym (𓇋𓇋𓅓).
Jordan Furutani
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

jordan17182 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:22 am In addition to Arabic the word was loaned into Egyptian as ywm (Hieroglyphic: 𓇋𓇋𓏲𓅓). Although sometimes written without ym (𓇋𓇋𓅓).
Brilliant. Do you have a keyboard for typing in hieroglyphs?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Jason: your translation is exactly as I expected.

In Hebrew conversation as recorded in Tanakh, the personal pronoun is found fronting a sentence, without it being an emphatic. If you want to make it emphatic, you’ll need to add something. Do you have any idea of what to add to make it emphatic?

Karl W. Randolph.
jordan17182

Post by jordan17182 »

Jason Hare wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:34 pm Do you have a keyboard for typing in hieroglyphs?
It is a rather involved affair but there are ways to set up the Japanese Keyboard to work for hieroglyphs. Personally, I use a program called JSesh and then copy as unicode.
Jordan Furutani
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

kwrandolph wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:45 pm In Hebrew conversation as recorded in Tanakh, the personal pronoun is found fronting a sentence, without it being an emphatic.
Could you provide some examples?
kwrandolph wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:45 pm If you want to make it emphatic, you’ll need to add something. Do you have any idea of what to add to make it emphatic?
No. What would that be?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

jordan17182 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:53 pm It is a rather involved affair but there are ways to set up the Japanese Keyboard to work for hieroglyphs. Personally, I use a program called JSesh and then copy as unicode.
How many different symbols are there in hieroglyphics? Aren’t there hundreds? Thousands?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳