Weingreen Grammar, Composition 32.7

A forum for discussion about writing in ancient Hebrew, and for practicing writing in Hebrew. If you post in this forum, you are inviting people to critique what you have written and suggest ways to improve it.

Private subforums can be created for groups who want to practice together without exposing their mistakes to the world, or this can be done in public.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Jason Hare

Weingreen Grammar, Composition 32.7

Post by Jason Hare »

Next!
The sons of Reuben drew near unto Moses and they said unto him, ‘If we have found grace in thine eyes, give (to) us, we pray thee [נָא] these cities and we shall dwell in them’.
Good luck!
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Re: Weingreen Grammar, Composition 32.7

Post by Jason Hare »

Hidden Hebrew Text

וַיִּגְּשׁוּ בְנֵי־רְאוּבֵן אֶל־מֹשֶׁה וַיֹּאמְרוּ אֵלָיו אִם מָצָ֫אנוּ חֵן בְּעֵינֶ֫יךָ תֵּן נָא לָ֫נוּ אֶת־הֶֽעָרִים הָאֵ֫לֶּה וְגַ֫רְנוּ בָּהֶן׃
I don’t like the combination תֵּן נָא לָ֫נוּ, but I patterned it off of הַגִּ֫ידִי נָא לִי from Genesis 24:23. The combination itself is not found in the biblical text, nor is תֶּן־לָ֫נוּ נָא. I went with the one that fit the pattern closest, but I still don’t like it.

In the modern language, we can use נָא by simply using the infinitive (נָא לָתֵת לָ֫נוּ “please, give us”). This also eliminates the necessity to use specific gender and number in the imperative.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
jordan17182

Post by jordan17182 »

Here is my first attempt.
I followed Genesis 18:3 for the first part of the request, except that I moved the נָא to after תֵּן.
Hidden Hebrew Text

וַיַּקְרִבוּ בְּנֵי רְאוּבֵן וְיֹאמְרוּ לוֹ אִם מָצָאנוּ חֵן בְּעֵינֶיךָ תֵּן־נָא לָנוּ אֶת הָעֵרִים אֵלֶּה וְיֹּשְׁבוּ בָּהֶם
Jordan Furutani
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Hi, Jordan!

The first verb that you’ve used here is pointed as if it were hiphil defective (vayyaqrī́ḇû). Notice the a-vowel in the first syllable and the i-vowel in the second. In hiphil, it means “offer, sacrifice.” The qal, which means “draw near,” uses i-vowel in the first syllable and a-vowel in the second. That is, vayyiqraḇ, which becomes vayyiqrəḇû (וַיִּקְרְבוּ) in the plural.

Apart from that, there is a pointing problem with the next vav-consecutive, since part of the vav-consecutive construction is that it has an a-vowel under the vav (וַיֹּאמְרוּ rather than וְיֹאמְרוּ). The next verb “and we will dwell” uses the perfect form with the vav prefix: וְיָשַׁ֫בְנוּ.

You should look at the vowel in the plural form of עִיר, which is with qamats (עָרִים). It also takes a special form with the article (הֶֽעָרִים), and the demonstrative needs to match its definiteness (הֶֽעָרִים הָאֵ֫לֶּה). (For fun, Ugaritic “city” is 𐎓𐎗 [ʿr].)

The rest is great. :)
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

jordan17182 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:57 pm Here is my first attempt.
I followed Genesis 18:3 for the first part of the request, except that I moved the נָא to after תֵּן.
Hidden Hebrew Text

וַיַּקְרִבוּ בְּנֵי רְאוּבֵן וְיֹאמְרוּ לוֹ אִם מָצָאנוּ חֵן בְּעֵינֶיךָ תֵּן־נָא לָנוּ אֶת הָעֵרִים אֵלֶּה וְיֹּשְׁבוּ בָּהֶם
Jorden:

Three things I noticed:

You left off the name “Moses” which is in the original sentence.

When you have a definite plural, as in הערים, “these” usually also has the definite article האלה.

The final verb you changed from first person to third person. The context of the sentence is first person plural.

I would suggest Numbers 32:2 and 5, to see how the idea was written up there.

Otherwise, a good first try.

Karl W. Randolph.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Yes, of course. It would be important to include Moses in the sentence, since it tells us who they approached!
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

I’ll open the thread for the next exercise later today if I get the time.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Well, if the next exercise is on its way, then here is my translation:

קרבו בני ראובן אל משה ויאמרו אליו אם מצאנו חן בעיניך יתן נא את הערים האלה לנו לאחזה ונשב בם

I immediately recognized it as a take-off of Numbers 32

2 ויבאו בני גד ובני ראובן ויאמרו אל משה ואל אלעזר הכהן ואל נשיאי העדה לאמר

5 ויאמרו אם מצאנו חן בעיניך—יתן את הארץ הזאת לעבדיך לאחזה  אל תעברנו את הירדן

Notes:

I don’t bother with this hide text feature, because it’s so easy to get around.

I wanted to use a Wayyiqtol as the introductory verb, which would have been the correct form if this were a continuation from a previous verse as in Numbers 32:2, but the sentence as written doesn’t have that context. Hence the form is a Qatal verb.

The verbs קרב נגש בוא are close enough in meaning in this context that any of them could have been used.

Adding the word אחזה was not necessary. I just added it to emphasize that the cities were to be settlements for the people.

The final verb is a Wayyiqtol because it’s a continuation of the theme, and because it’s in the context “that we should” modality.

The verb ישב “to settle down” is used both in the context of sitting down, and in dwelling in a place. Here I use it in the second sense.

Karl W. Randolph.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

The hide tag is not there to keep people from having the answers. It is INTENTIONAL that you can click on it and reveal what’s been hidden. The purpose is to allow your eye to scan down the page to start typing your own without accidentally being exposed to someone else’s work—if you don’t want to unintentionally look at it.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

I disagree with ונשב (that is, וְנֵשֵׁב vənēšēḇ) as the final verb form. It should be וְיָשַׁ֫בְנוּ vəyāšáḇnû. This form is what Cook and Holmstedt refer to as the irreal perfect. It is used for non-indicate mood, such as the “that we should” sense. The vav with imperfect can be used as a pure first–person jussive (that is, cohortative) following a conjunctive vav, meaning “and let us dwell.”
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳