Nebuchadnezzar's wasting of Egypt

For questions and discussions about Hebrew found in the wild (that is, in inscriptions, ostraca, tombstones, et cetera).
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Chris Watts

Nebuchadnezzar's wasting of Egypt

Post by Chris Watts »

The Date? After 604 BC?

Quite surprised to find so many scholars denying the issue that Nebuchadnezzar even went to Egypt based on the usual " insufficient evidence " motif. Keeping this short I found a PDF attached below that offers evidence against the "scholarship". It is a 7 page pdf but what is interesting is on Page 4, top of the page where he begins with: "...Nevertheless, attention has recently been called to a hieroglyphic inscription in the Louvre, which brings us unimpeachable testimony, from a contemporary Egyptian source, to the fact of an actual conquest of Egypt by Nebuchadnezzar....'

If anyone is interested I would appreciate insights. (Naturally this sprang from my readings in Ezekiel 29 and 30)
https://biblicalstudies.org.uk/pdf/expo ... 10_397.pdf

Chris watts
Jason Hare

Re: Nebuchadnezzar's wasting of Egypt

Post by Jason Hare »

Does this have anything to do with Hebrew, though?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Chris Watts

Re: Nebuchadnezzar's wasting of Egypt

Post by Chris Watts »

Jason Hare wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:19 am Does this have anything to do with Hebrew, though?
Well Ok, so I moved it to the coffee lounge, sorry, thought archeology was the closest category. I remember going back a few years, 10 years I think roughly, when I was on the forum, how many loads of discussions there were around Biblical history. Is this now Taboo???

Does this also mean I can not attach a map of Cush to ask the forum if they agree with its approximate boundaries at a certain date in biblical history? Is this also now banned??

Chris watts