Teaching Grammars

A forum for the discussion of teaching methods and class objectives for teaching Classical Hebrew.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Jason Hare

Teaching Grammars

Post by Jason Hare »

What grammar(s) do you prefer to use for teaching biblical Hebrew?

What do you find most effective in the specific grammar?

What do you find problematic in it?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Re: Teaching Grammars

Post by Jason Hare »

Personally, I really like Karl Kutz & Rebecca Josberger’s Learning Biblical Hebrew: Reading for Comprehension, as I’ve stated before.

I love that they get students into reading Hebrew text very quickly. They have designed a reader/workbook to go along with the text, and from the very beginning it has lots of text for them to delve into.

It sorta bothers me that they leave weak verbs to the very end, but I think this is the trend nowadays. I learned weak verbs along with all the others using Seow’s A Grammar For Biblical Hebrew, so I think I got a good understanding of the morphological changes that these verbs undergo. Then again, I felt totally overwhelmed at the end of my first year of biblical Hebrew and almost didn’t enroll for the second year.

What do you use for teaching Hebrew? If you could develop your own grammar, what would you do differently?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Kirk Lowery
Site Admin

Re: Teaching Grammars

Post by Kirk Lowery »

Jason,

I like your two choices. My experience teaching Hebrew is a bit...different. I was in Hungary for 8 years and taught in Hungarian; my grammars were in Hungarian and the issues for the students were quite different from those who are English speakers. For example, Hungarian has verbless clauses, so there's no need for much explanation. On the other hand, verbal tenses was always a hard topic for them. Seow's is great, though, for English speakers and I would often recommend it to my Hungarian students who read English.
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD
B-Hebrew Site Administrator & Moderator
blog: https://blogs.emdros.org/eh