Nebuchadnezzar's wasting of Egypt

General conversations that don’t belong in any other forum.
Chris Watts

Nebuchadnezzar's wasting of Egypt

Post by Chris Watts »

The Date? After 604 BC?

Quite surprised to find so many scholars denying the issue that Nebuchadnezzar even went to Egypt based on the usual " insufficient evidence " motif. Keeping this short I found a PDF attached below that offers evidence against the "scholarship". It is a 7 page pdf but what is interesting is on Page 4, top of the page where he begins with: "...Nevertheless, attention has recently been called to a hieroglyphic inscription in the Louvre, which brings us unimpeachable testimony, from a contemporary Egyptian source, to the fact of an actual conquest of Egypt by Nebuchadnezzar....'

If anyone is interested I would appreciate insights. (Naturally this sprang from my readings in Ezekiel 29 and 30)
https://biblicalstudies.org.uk/pdf/expo ... 10_397.pdf

Chris watts
kwrandolph

Re: Nebuchadnezzar's wasting of Egypt

Post by kwrandolph »

Chris:

In my readings from different sources, I have come to the conclusion that Egyptian history before about 500 BC is a shambles. That shambles can be traced back to one man—Manetho. I won’t go into all the details in this message, only to acknowledge that problems exist.

We have Biblical and other histories that say that Nebuchadnezzar invaded Egypt. Isn’t that sufficient?

Karl W. Randolph.
Mike Atnip

Post by Mike Atnip »

kwrandolph wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:02 pm Chris:

In my readings from different sources, I have come to the conclusion that Egyptian history before about 500 BC is a shambles. That shambles can be traced back to one man—Manetho. I won’t go into all the details in this message, only to acknowledge that problems exist.

We have Biblical and other histories that say that Nebuchadnezzar invaded Egypt. Isn’t that sufficient?

Karl W. Randolph.
Thanks for the heads up about this. I have not studied into this at all, but had assumed that the long list of Pharaohs that I have seen (like on my Bible software) probably had legitimacy and a certain degree of historicity. Now I know to read with more caution.
Mike Atnip
May I not debate presumptuously; may I not be silent impudently. May I learn beneficial speech; may I acquire discerning silence. -Ephrem the Syrian
S_Walch

Post by S_Walch »

Yeah it must be remembered that it was rare for such large powers as Egypt, Assyria etc., to record losses and/or outright failures such as being defeated and overcome by another power.

Quite a lot of Egyptian history which we know comes from the inscriptions on the Pharaohs' Tombs etc., which contained descriptions of their successes and things which would depict them in a favourable light. They also weren't affront to erasing previous Pharaoh's successes, and claiming them as their own (Pharaoh Rameses II was quite prolific in doing this*).

* Can recommend the book Ramesses, by Joyce Tyldesley regarding this. :)
Ste Walch