First Delivery

General conversations that don’t belong in any other forum.
Jason Hare

First Delivery

Post by Jason Hare »

I’ve received the first of the three books that I recently ordered from Amazon.com. It’s Robert D. Holmstedt’s Ruth: A Handbook on the Hebrew Text (Waco, TX: Baylor UP, 2010). So far, I’ve just read through the first three sections of the introduction, up to page 40. I’m taking it to work with me tonight as I sit through a night shift at the front desk. I anticipate a great read.

Have you gotten any books recently that you’re excited about?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Glenn Dean

Re: First Delivery

Post by Glenn Dean »

It's been awhile for me, but the last book I bought was May of last year, "Exegetical Gems From Biblical Hebrew" by H.H. Hardy II. I read 14 of the 30 chapters, and remember thinking several of the chapters were really good (may be two chapters), but all the others I wouldn't identify as even coming remotely close to a "gem"
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Glenn Dean wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:58 am It's been awhile for me, but the last book I bought was May of last year, "Exegetical Gems From Biblical Hebrew" by H.H. Hardy II. I read 14 of the 30 chapters, and remember thinking several of the chapters were really good (may be two chapters), but all the others I wouldn't identify as even coming remotely close to a "gem"
I hate that this is often the case. What were the “gems” that shone most brightly for you?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

for me, been too long since I sped thru that book, so I can't remember the chapters that I thought "that is a gem".

I had bought another book more recently than May of 2021, which is "Jonah in the Shadows of Eden" by Yitzhak Berger which details, from the Hebrew, how Jonah was actually trying to live in an "Eden-like environment" (which included Joppa (same root as 'pretty'), Tarshish (a precious stone in Eden), the sea (where all the treasures were thrown by the sailors), the whale, Nineveh (the 'cedar of Lebanon', greater than those in Eden), the succa & plant). I don't have the skill to really say I understand his logic, but it's a fascinating read. Highly recommend this book, especially since I got it for like $9 on Kindle ha-ha
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Received a notification from דּ֫וֹאַר יִשְׂרָאֵל Israel Post that I have another delivery. It will be the second book that I ordered, but I’m not sure which one is arriving today. It could either be A Biblical Hebrew Reader by Muraoka or the Seow handbook. Can’t know at this point, but I’m excited!
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

What I received was A Biblical Hebrew Reader with an Outline Grammar by Takamitsu Muraoka. תִּתְחַדֵּשׁ to myself!

Come to find out that the “outline grammar” takes up most of the book. The reader doesn’t actually have Hebrew text. It just gives you a reference to the part of the Bible and then notes for translation. It’s kinda weird.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Kenneth Greifer

Post by Kenneth Greifer »

Jason,
Just for interest, you might not remember, but you set up in the resource section a book discussion section. Maybe it is better in the lounge section, but I am just pointing this out. It seems like people do want to discuss their opinions on books they like and dislike.
Kenneth Greifer
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Kenneth Greifer wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:07 am Jason,
Just for interest, you might not remember, but you set up in the resource section a book discussion section. Maybe it is better in the lounge section, but I am just pointing this out. It seems like people do want to discuss their opinions on books they like and dislike.
Yalla (يَا ٱللّٰه / יַ֫אלְלָה), let’s open some threads!
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳