Introducing Jerry Shepherd

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
JShepherd

Introducing Jerry Shepherd

Post by JShepherd »

Hi, I am Jerry Shepherd, and I am originally from North Carolina. I received an MAR from Westminster Theological Seminary in Philadelphia in 1985, and then a PhD in Hermeneutics and Biblical Interpretation, also from WTS, in 1995. During my doctoral student years at WTS, I served as teaching assistant to Al Groves, and worked several years on the Westminster Hebrew Computer project. I also taught courses at WTS and several Bible colleges and institutes in the Philadelphia area, including CUTS (Center for Urban Theological Studies) and the Philadelphia College of Bible Graduate School. My dissertation "The Book of Psalms as the Book of Christ: A Christo-Canonical Approach to the Book of Psalms," was begun under Bruce Waltke, and finished under Tremper Longman.

I have been teaching at Taylor Seminary in Edmonton, Alberta for 20 years. Courses that I regularly teach are OT Introduction, Biblical Hermeneutics, Psalms, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Wisdom Literature, and Motifs in Biblical Theology, as well as courses in Hebrew, Hebrew exegesis, and a skills course in Hebrew and Greek. I have also served as an adjunct at the ACTS Seminaries, Sioux Falls Seminary, and Ambrose Seminary.

I have written a commentary on Ecclesiastes for the Expositor's Bible Commentary (revised), and am in the process of writing a commentary on Leviticus for Zondervan's Story of God Commentary series. I have also contributed articles to the New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology and Exegesis, as well as the Baker Illustrated Bible Dictionary.

Most Sundays, I provide pulpit supply at various churches in the Edmonton area.

I recently started a blog, dedicated to the discussion of biblical theology, at http://www.TheRecapitulator.com.
Jerry Shepherd
Associate Professor of Old Testament
Taylor Seminary
jerry.shepherd@taylor-edu.ca
Ken M. Penner

Re: Introducing Jerry Shepherd

Post by Ken M. Penner »

In reading these introductions, I learned that several of us have in common the privilege of learning from Bruce Waltke!
Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.
St. Francis Xavier University
JShepherd

Re: Introducing Jerry Shepherd

Post by JShepherd »

Yes, I see for most of us it was through WTS, and for yourself through Regent. On the doctoral level, I took two semesters from him on Psalms, one on Micah, and one semester of advanced Hebrew grammar using a prepublication form of his and O'Connor's Biblical Hebrew Syntax.
Jerry Shepherd
Associate Professor of Old Testament
Taylor Seminary
jerry.shepherd@taylor-edu.ca