Greetings from Colombia

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Carlos Torrenegra

Greetings from Colombia

Post by Carlos Torrenegra »

Hi, greetings from a Colombian guy who loves biblical Hebrew.
קרלוס ;)
talmid56

Re: Greetings from Colombia

Post by talmid56 »

Saludos de un tipo estadounidense. También amo el hebreo bíblico.
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
--(E 84:11) 84:12 תהלים
Kirk Lowery
Site Admin

Post by Kirk Lowery »

Greetings, Carl, and welcome to B-Hebrew!

Tell us a little about yourself. Where/how did you learn Hebrew?
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD
B-Hebrew Site Administrator & Moderator
blog: https://blogs.emdros.org/eh
Carlos Torrenegra

Kirk Lowery wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:20 pm Greetings, Carl, and welcome to B-Hebrew!

Tell us a little about yourself. Where/how did you learn Hebrew?

HI Kirk, sorry for the delay response.. I learned it by myself. Lots of books, videos, software, flashcards, reading chapters daily, etc, for 4 years +. I'm in an advanced level nowadays. I can read and understand most of tanach without any help, I would say 97%. Some of Job and a few places here and there still to master. Hope to reach 99% in a couple of years.

I studied in a Hebrew school, so must admit that knowing the basics about the language helped to get started, but it was a new discovery for me when I learned that biblical Hebrew was different from modern Hebrew.

Regards.
קרלוס ;)
Carlos Torrenegra

talmid56 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:29 pm Saludos de un tipo estadounidense. También amo el hebreo bíblico.
Saludos, como aprendiste hebreo bíblico y español?
קרלוס ;)
Mike Atnip

Post by Mike Atnip »

Carlos Torrenegra wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:07 am
talmid56 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:29 pm Saludos de un tipo estadounidense. También amo el hebreo bíblico.
Yo (no soy talmid56, :-)) aprendí primero el español, pero ahora voy en búsqueda de conquistar también el hebreo bíblico. Bienvenido, de un gringito que una vez radicaba en Bolivia, pero ya está en EEUU de nuevo.
Mike Atnip
May I not debate presumptuously; may I not be silent impudently. May I learn beneficial speech; may I acquire discerning silence. -Ephrem the Syrian
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

בָּרוּךְ הַבָּא קַ֫רְלוֹס׃ אֵי מִזֶּה סְפָרִים לָמַ֫דְתָּ בִּתְחִלָּה אֶת־שְׂפַת כִּתְבֵי הַקֹּ֫דֶשׁ׃
What books did you learn Hebrew from in the beginning? Welcome to the forum!
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Carlos Torrenegra

Jason Hare wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:44 am
בָּרוּךְ הַבָּא קַ֫רְלוֹס׃ אֵי מִזֶּה סְפָרִים לָמַ֫דְתָּ בִּתְחִלָּה אֶת־שְׂפַת כִּתְבֵי הַקֹּ֫דֶשׁ׃
What books did you learn Hebrew from in the beginning? Welcome to the forum!
Hi Jason, thanks. I was here for the past two years, but apparently there's a problem getting email notifications of the new topics, so I wasn't active. Still not getting email notifications, do you get those?

My first book was "Gramática Elemental del Hebreo Bíblico" from Enrique Farfán. Spanish is closer to Hebrew than English, so I thought to learn it from Spanish resources. Then I rapidly found out that the best resources in many ways were available in English, so I had to switch. I started with the "First Hebrew Primer", and then some others, like "Beginning Biblical Hebrew" Futato.

And also the rest, like having Accordance with texts, and tools, etc. I'm about to start trying to master hapax with falshcards. The rest of vocabulary is acquired.

What do you think is the best book to learn Hebrew?

Regards.
קרלוס ;)
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Carlos Torrenegra wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:51 am What do you think is the best book to learn Hebrew?
The best textbook is the one that works for you. Whatever you connect with and that gets you beyond the basics and into reading texts. The general problem is that people get so bogged down with grammar that they never get into actually reading for enjoyment – and they feel that they “know Hebrew” by virtue of studying it. For this reason, I think that those textbooks that get students into early and copious reading are the best from a teacher’s perspective. This, to me, would be John Cook and Robert Holmstedt’s Beginning Biblical Hebrew set that uses comic-style presentation of Hebrew stories from the Bible and (my favorite) Karl Kutz and Rebecca Josberger’s Learning Biblical Hebrew, which has a graded reader that starts students very early in reading.

Cook and Holmstedt’s presentation of the text in comics is fantastic, but their discussion of linguistics-related terminology (though revolutionary in a teaching grammar) presents a lot of stumbling blocks for a student who simply wants to learn to read and understand Hebrew without becoming a trained linguist.

I initially learned grammar from Seow’s A Grammar of Biblical Hebrew. If you focus on the long-text readings that are assigned directly from the Tanach, you can get along very well with it, and it has the added bonus of covering a lot of the theory behind morphology and accidence. If you do only the Hebrew-to-English translations, you’ll not have covered enough to actually read the Bible.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

Carlos Torrenegra wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:07 am
Carlos, siento mucho la tardanza de esta respuesta a tus saludos. Estaba yo enfermo por un rato, pero yo siento bien ahora. Si está bien, voy a responder de como aprendí el hebreo bíblico y el español en un mensaje privado a ti aquí en el foro.

Mientras tanto, te espero a ti y a tu familia una Feliz Navidad.
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
--(E 84:11) 84:12 תהלים