Greetings from England

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Jason Hare

Re: Greetings from England

Post by Jason Hare »

I use the built-in Hebrew keyboard, and I am able to type vowels on any Windows system.

שְׁמַע יִשְׂרָאֵל יְהוָה אֱלֹהֵ֫ינוּ יְהוָה אֶחָד׃

I typed that with the regular Windows keyboard.

However, it isn't as intuitive as some others.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

Well, it could be I'm missing something. I don't use Windows at home, just at work. The system is Windows 10. When I put the onscreen keyboard for Hebrew up, all I see are the consonants. I tried using the CTRL, ALT, and shift keys to see if that would make any vowel keys appear, but none did. What do I need to do to show vowel keys? Or is it that you can type them with the physical keyboard, but not the virtual one?
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
--(E 84:11) 84:12 תהלים
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

talmid56 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:23 pm Well, it could be I'm missing something. I don't use Windows at home, just at work. The system is Windows 10. When I put the onscreen keyboard for Hebrew up, all I see are the consonants. I tried using the CTRL, ALT, and shift keys to see if that would make any vowel keys appear, but none did. What do I need to do to show vowel keys? Or is it that you can type them with the physical keyboard, but not the virtual one?
On Windows, you have the option of an on-screen keyboard. It will help you learn the placement of the vowels. Pull it up and hit the virtual Alt-Gr key (the Alt key on the right side of the space bar). It will show you that the sin and shin dots are on the q and w keys, respectively (שׂ שׁ), that kamaṣ and ḥataf-kamaṣ are on e and r (אָ אֳ), that sheva and dagesh are on a and s (בְ בּ), that segol and ḥataf-segol are on x and c (אֶ אֱ), that tsere, ḥirik, and the ḥolam dot are on m, j, and u (בֵ בִ וֹ), that pataḥ and ḥataf-pataḥ are on p and [ (אַ אֲ), that kubuṣ is on \ (בֻ), and that oleh and meteg are on 6 and 7 (ב֫ בֽ).

With some practice, you will get used to the placement.

Myself? I use a complicated set of numerical codes with the Alt key. So, I use 0199 for pataḥ, 0200 for kamaṣ, etc. I learned that when I was a young man, so it has stayed with me all these years. I wouldn't recommend doing it that way.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Moses Gummadi

Post by Moses Gummadi »

talmid56 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:23 pm Or is it that you can type them with the physical keyboard, but not the virtual one?
Here's an alternative. Install SBL keyboard (Hebrew) for Windows. https://www.sbl-site.org/educational/bi ... ebrew.aspx
It works on Windows 10, I have tried. Use the shift key to view vowels and cantillation.

Edit: There are two drivers provided for Windows in the link above. I suggest the Tiro Layout.
Moses Gummadi
יִרְאֵי יְהוָה בִּטְחוּ בַיהוָה
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

Jason, I tried that with the ALT-gr key just now (I only tried the ALT-left before), but it still doesn't show the vowels. It shows the Euro symbol, a Greek key symbol (or perhaps a more decorative "at" symbol), curved brackets, and a couple of keys with vertical lines. No niqud. Of course, this is a business version of Windows 10. Perhaps the niqud are only available on the home version.
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

Moses, thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I don't have admin privileges, so I am not able to install the SBL keyboard. It's okay, though. I can type them at home on my Mac, no problem. I normally use the Hebrew QWERTY layout, which more or less maps to the U.S. English keyboard equivalents of the consonants. On the keyboard viewer you hold down the Option key and it shows the niqud on the top row. I also can input them with a special toolbar I have in LibreOffice.
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

talmid56 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:06 am Jason, I tried that with the ALT-gr key just now (I only tried the ALT-left before), but it still doesn't show the vowels. It shows the Euro symbol, a Greek key symbol (or perhaps a more decorative "at" symbol), curved brackets, and a couple of keys with vertical lines. No niqud. Of course, this is a business version of Windows 10. Perhaps the niqud are only available on the home version.
There are two keyboards on Windows. There is "Hebrew" and there "Hebrew (Standard)." The one that is labelled Standard has the layout that I suggested to you.

To reach vowels on the other Windows keyboard, you lock the CAPSLOCK and then with Shift, you press ` 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 - and =. The list is found here. If you see the Alt codes there, that is actually what I use.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

The Windows system I use only has the "Hebrew", not the "Hebrew (Standard)". I checked again just now under the Language menu in Settings, and that is the only Hebrew option it shows.

I'll try that with the capslock. Of course, as it's a work computer, I wouldn't get to spend much time with Hebrew anyway on it. I mainly wanted to know to help others who use Windows, but haven't learned about typing in Hebrew. Most of my Hebrew typing is done at home. :)
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

talmid56 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:03 am The Windows system I use only has the "Hebrew", not the "Hebrew (Standard)". I checked again just now under the Language menu in Settings, and that is the only Hebrew option it shows.

I'll try that with the capslock. Of course, as it's a work computer, I wouldn't get to spend much time with Hebrew anyway on it. I mainly wanted to know to help others who use Windows, but haven't learned about typing in Hebrew. Most of my Hebrew typing is done at home. :)
It will say "Hebrew," and once you've got it installed, you go back to it and click on "Options," and then it gives you different Hebrew keyboard options.

Ignore the "Tiro" in my list. It was added from SBL, and I don't use it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

That suggestion did work. I can see all of them now except the tsere. It must be there, but I don't see it yet.
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני