imputerate@puteracy.com

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Jason Hare

Re: imputerate@puteracy.com

Post by Jason Hare »

By the way, Peter, your posts should not go to moderation any more. You’ve passed the threshold for unmoderated posting.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

I don't see why age per se should be a factor in not being able to learn a new language. As long as you have the desire and the required mental alertness, why not try? Sure, it may take you a bit more time than, say, a 20-year old, but so what? I'm 66 and hope to start learning Syriac sometime this year.

Last year, I also started learning for the first time cursive Hebrew handwriting. Before that, my handwritten Hebrew was done to resemble printed Hebrew, which is how my instructor did it. That's basically the same approach as block printing in English. I'm still not quite used to writing Hebrew cursive. I can't read the cursive as quickly yet. But, with more practice, I'll get there.

Peter, welcome to the forum, and we hope you will enjoy it here. Hebrew is a rich and beautiful language, well deserving of your time. I hope you find it so.
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
--(E 84:11) 84:12 תהלים
Kenneth Greifer

Post by Kenneth Greifer »

imputerate wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:01 am
Kenneth Greifer wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:27 pm Peter,
I read the Hebrew Bible silently, without pronouncing any words at all because I just look at it as letters that make up words like a silent language. The people here got very mad at me when I told them that. You already broke the most important unwritten rule on language discussion forums: Never tell people what you are really doing. Just act like everybody else. Nobody needs to know if you have any ulterior motives that they won't like because they might decide not to answer you. Some people here told me I was wasting their time by asking questions about Biblical Hebrew because I admitted I am not trying to actually learn the language in the usual way. They said they won't answer any of my questions anymore. I just wanted to study Biblical Hebrew without trying to learn the language, which is a little diffUSER STATISTICSerent, but I am still studying the language anyway.
I am not sure I understand what you are trying to do, but I think you should not have told anybody.
kenneth, so glad to hear from you; when i clicked on "contact kenneth greifer, there was no response; here's my email address- imputerate@puteracy.com
Peter,
I set my private message thing not to accept any private messages, but I put it back on if you want to contact me for some reason. I think I will just leave it on from now on.
Kenneth Greifer
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

talmid56 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:37 pm I... hope to start learning Syriac sometime this year.
Do you have a direction mapped out for the study? I never finished biblical Aramaic, but I think that Syriac might be a better attack vector, given that it has a larger corpus of literature. Are you going to do paid lessons, or would you like to perhaps start a chavruta to study together?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
imputerate

Post by imputerate »

ken, the message thing is still moribund; email me so we can get oriented; i promise not to pester you;

OR, how does one tell when the top, right hand dot over sh is just that, or also an 'o' attached to the preceding consonant?
Kenneth Greifer wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:00 pm
imputerate wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:01 am
Kenneth Greifer wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:27 pm Peter,
I read the Hebrew Bible silently, without pronouncing any words at all because I just look at it as letters that make up words like a silent language. The people here got very mad at me when I told them that. You already broke the most important unwritten rule on language discussion forums: Never tell people what you are really doing. Just act like everybody else. Nobody needs to know if you have any ulterior motives that they won't like because they might decide not to answer you. Some people here told me I was wasting their time by asking questions about Biblical Hebrew because I admitted I am not trying to actually learn the language in the usual way. They said they won't answer any of my questions anymore. I just wanted to study Biblical Hebrew without trying to learn the language, which is a little diffUSER STATISTICSerent, but I am still studying the language anyway.
I am not sure I understand what you are trying to do, but I think you should not have told anybody.
kenneth, so glad to hear from you; when i clicked on "contact kenneth greifer, there was no response; here's my email address- imputerate@puteracy.com
Peter,
I set my private message thing not to accept any private messages, but I put it back on if you want to contact me for some reason. I think I will just leave it on from now on.
peter hodgson, imputerate
"rhetoric is reality"
imputerate

Post by imputerate »

dude, that was right on! especially the last line; thanks, i'm hooked
Jason Hare wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:47 pm About the dagesh, though: If the letter containing dagesh is at the beginning of a word or after sheva (םְ), the dagesh is dagesh lene. If, however, the dagesh follows a vowel, it is dagesh forte and doubles the letter.

בֶּ֫גֶד — The בּ is at the beginning of thWhen a begedkefet letter contains the dagesh, it is always hard. You cannot double the soft version of the letter.e word and exhibits dagesh lene. It is not doubled (béḡeḏ).

מִדְבָּר — The בּ follows a silent sheva and exhibits dagesh lene. It is not doubled (midbār).

דִּבֶּר — The בּ follows the vowel ḥirik, so it exhibits dagesh forte. It is doubled and serves to close the first syllable and to open the second (dibber [dib-ber]).

When a begedkefet letter contains the dagesh, it is always hard. You cannot double the soft version of the letter.
"rhetoric is reality"
imputerate

Post by imputerate »

jason, i am anxious to explore which "local" (mesopotamian) oral myths were deemed relevant to the enlightened editors of the bible text, and which were not; that might be a first step toward determining what the standards for such choices were;
Jason Hare wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:57 pm By “whose flood?”, I assume that you’re talking about the Flood of Noah. The question is kinda vague. Do you think that the flood as recounted in the Book of Genesis belonged to someone?
"rhetoric is reality"
imputerate

Post by imputerate »

jason, i can't quite handle the site's messenging protocols yet; e.g. i can't relocate your instructions for posting my ID

anyway, i may have already posted this, but

m".h*l.::% %+r+b ,t".,s%..r:b
this is a transliteration which can be typed without having to resort to diacriticals;
it covers all the consonants and vowels, and (on occasion) the syntax/cantillation marks.

please suggest an alternative if there is one;
"rhetoric is reality"
imputerate

signature

Post by imputerate »

jason, finally got it, did it;
Jason Hare wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:57 am Peter,

No one will remember what you wrote in your introductory thread. The signature is a part of your profile. Just click here and add your name and save it. It will add it to all of your posts in the future. You won’t need to put your name on your posts, since it will be automatic.

My signature appears below the following line:
"rhetoric is reality"
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

imputerate wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:03 pm jason, i can't quite handle the site's messenging protocols yet; e.g. i can't relocate your instructions for posting my ID

anyway, i may have already posted this, but

m".h*l.::% %+r+b ,t".,s%..r:b
this is a transliteration which can be typed without having to resort to diacriticals;
it covers all the consonants and vowels, and (on occasion) the syntax/cantillation marks.

please suggest an alternative if there is one;
On B-Hebrew, we used BETA CODE for years before Unicode came out. Why not use it? It’s at least readable by humans. שָׁלוֹם is $FLOWM, and אֱלֹהִים is ):ELOHIYM.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳