Pax vobiscum!

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Sean O'Buadhaigh

Pax vobiscum!

Post by Sean O'Buadhaigh »

Hi, Folks!

According to the inside cover of my copy of Lambdin, it was 1991, when I took the Glasgow University Hebrew Summer School under the Rev Dr Alistair Hunter. we got as far as chapter fifteen and that was as far as I ever got. In addition to Lambdin's text I have the key provided for the course and the recommended Langenscheidt's pocket Hebrew dictionary. Over the years - always intending to return to Hebrew at some stage - I have acquired Davidson's Grammar and Key, and Weingreen's introductory grammar. In pursuing a key for Weingreen I was led to this forum. For some inexplicable reason I have also managed to stow away a copy of Weingreen's Hebrew Composition! Perhaps I'll do something with that in the 2030s, if I'm still breathing.

Barry Bandstra's 'Genesis 1-11: A Handbook on the Hebrew Text' is order from Amazon, because what's really prodding at me to get some Hebrew is the thought that there might be a lot to learn about Evolution v./& Genesis, if I were able to read the Hebrew version(s).

I should make it clear from the start (as a veteran of several fora) that I am not a polemical person, so if anyone wants a good old fashioned fight about Evolution and the Bible, they must look elsewhere for an opponent. That goes for everything else, too. I am here to learn. If anyone can help with that I'll be very grateful for all pointers offered.

Looking forward to engaging constructively with you all, and thanking you for letting me in,

Sean O'Buadhaigh
Sean O'Buadhaigh
Kirk Lowery
Site Admin

Re: Pax vobiscum!

Post by Kirk Lowery »

Welcome in, Sean! We're glad to have you.

Don't worry about "fights". We have lively discussions from time to time, but we don't permit ad hominem flame wars. Also, this forum is about the language, text and message of the Hebrew Bible. We discourage discussion of theological topics except as it directly relates to the message/theology of the text.

For more information about our policies, check out the the Policies subforum.

So...relax. You're among friends.

Blessings,
Kirk
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD
B-Hebrew Site Administrator & Moderator
blog: https://blogs.emdros.org/eh
Sean O'Buadhaigh

Post by Sean O'Buadhaigh »

Thanks for the welcome, Kirk! And sorry for my somewhat aggressive declaration of peaceful intent :-) Not all the fora I have been on are as civil even if the subject matter is academic.

I checked the link in your post above and agree wholeheartedly with your policies; I am indeed among friends I have yet to meet.

I'm not opposed to some academic to-ing and fro-ing so long as the aim is to get to the root/truth of something and not just score points in the debate. Indeed, if I'm wrong about something, I'd be mightily obliged if someone would point it out! As regards Hebrew, that's likely to be a frequent occurrence for many years to come...

Looking forward to picking your brains!
Last edited by Sean O'Buadhaigh on Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sean O'Buadhaigh
Carlos Torrenegra

Post by Carlos Torrenegra »

Hi Kirk, I don't know why I don't get email notifications. When I enter to the site, I have like 20 unread notifications waiting.

I would like to have the email option, to be able to reply and participate more. Regards
קרלוס ;)
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

I'm not getting those anymore either, and I used to get them in my email. I do have "Administrators can email me information" checked in my control panel settings.
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
--(E 84:11) 84:12 תהלים
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Sean O’Buadhaigh,

Welcome!

Me
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Kirk Lowery
Site Admin

Post by Kirk Lowery »

Carlos & Dwayne,

Email notifications has been a pain for me for years. When we were first setting up the forum, mail notifications worked. Then they didn't. It turned out that there was a problem with our host DNS that prevented the email sending programs from mailing things out. I worked with the list owner, but the problem was greater than he had time for. We never got back to it. I'm assuming the problem was never solved. (I suspect it is an email server configuration issue; not simple!). But since I don't have access to the server hardware, I can't work on resolving it.

It's embarrassing, but there it is. I'll check with the list owner, but I am cautiously pessimistic. (Jason: does B-Greek do mail notifications?)

Blessings,
Kirk
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD
B-Hebrew Site Administrator & Moderator
blog: https://blogs.emdros.org/eh
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Yes, B-Greek is able to do daily mailings or individual mails.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

Odd, as it appears to my untutored eye that both fora use the same forum software. Both say "phpBB software" at the top of the opening page.
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

It's okay if it can't be fixed, since I check in for new posts and notifications most days. But the email alerts are a nice extra.
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני