Pax vobiscum!

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Jason Hare

Re: Pax vobiscum!

Post by Jason Hare »

talmid56 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:24 am Odd, as it appears to my untutored eye that both fora use the same forum software. Both say "phpBB software" at the top of the opening page.
Right, but they use different servers. I think it’s got something to do with the settings of the server – which isn’t something I have access to.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Max S-R

Post by Max S-R »

Sean O'Buadhaigh wrote:Not all the fora I have been on are as civil even if the subject matter is academic.
I wonder what he could mean by that...

Salue et tu, o Terry!
I have been making strides in this matter myself, and in case you didn't see it on the other forum, this site has been extraordinarily useful to me. It has a digitized, interactable version of the Leningrad Codex, options for diacritics (Masoretic points & cantillation marks), along with a drop-down Vulgate, Septuagint, whatever you fancy (who knows, maybe one in Erse is available 8-) ). Click on a word & you'll get a fairly reliable parsing tool, which can then send you to the respective entry in Strong's Concordance or the Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew Lexicon. Fool around a bit, and you'll be hooked; there's also a free app.

I'll be happy to discuss any passage that catches your eye: to see if we can't solve its mysteries with our tway bonny brains.

Best regards & welcome aboard,
Max S-R
"I yam what I yam." - Popeye the Sailor Man
שְׁתֵה בַיּוֹם עֲדֵי יִפֶן וְשֶׁמֶשׁ
עֲלֵי כַסְפּוֹ יְצַפֶּה אֶת זְהָבוֹ

8-)
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Should have answered appropriately, but I got distracted.
Pax vobiscum. → Et cum spiritu tuo.

In Hebrew, we can just switch the terms.
שָׁלוֹם עֲלֵיכֶם. ← עֲלֵיכֶם שָׁלוֹם.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Sean O'Buadhaigh

Post by Sean O'Buadhaigh »

Max S-R wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:34 pm
Sean O'Buadhaigh wrote:Not all the fora I have been on are as civil even if the subject matter is academic.
I wonder what he could mean by that...

Salue et tu, o Terry!
I have been making strides in this matter myself, and in case you didn't see it on the other forum, this site has been extraordinarily useful to me. It has a digitized, interactable version of the Leningrad Codex, options for diacritics (Masoretic points & cantillation marks), along with a drop-down Vulgate, Septuagint, whatever you fancy (who knows, maybe one in Erse is available 8-) ). Click on a word & you'll get a fairly reliable parsing tool, which can then send you to the respective entry in Strong's Concordance or the Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew Lexicon. Fool around a bit, and you'll be hooked; there's also a free app.

I'll be happy to discuss any passage that catches your eye: to see if we can't solve its mysteries with our tway bonny brains.

Best regards & welcome aboard,
Max S-R
Salve, Max! Quid agis? Tamen Terry non est mihi nomen verum. I only chose Terry Smith since it was easy to Latinise as Terentius Faber. My own surname is a bit trickier. It might come out something like Victoris, but definitely nothing Avitus would approve of. (Avitus runs his own Latin course, for those who don't know, and is a stickler for getting thing things right.)

Thanks for that link! That is a fine piece of kit, but it will be a while before I can make much use of it. My game plan is faithfully to do fifteen minutes of Hebrew each day. Any more and I might find it difficult to make the time every day. I'd rather go slowly than throw it all up in despair after a few weeks. In truth I'd rather go quickly, but I have a sinking feeling that my workload is about to quadruple - and I neither jest nor exaggerate, although I do hope that I'm just plain wrong.

BTW "tway"/twae? Have you been haunting the east coast of Scotland, ye loon? It's aye "twa" roon oor way in God's blest West!
Sean O'Buadhaigh
Sean O'Buadhaigh

Jason Hare wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:58 am Should have answered appropriately, but I got distracted.

:) The first word there is easy enough to understand, but what's going on with the second word? Is a verb, or like the Latin, is the verb to be assumed?
Sean O'Buadhaigh
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Sean O'Buadhaigh wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:43 pm
Jason Hare wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:58 am Should have answered appropriately, but I got distracted.

:) The first word there is easy enough to understand, but what's going on with the second word? Is a verb, or like the Latin, is the verb to be assumed?
It’s the preposition עַל “upon” with the second-person masculine plural (2mp) personal suffix, meaning “upon you (pl.).” So, the first says שָׁלוֹם עֲלֵיכֶם “peace [be] upon you” (šālôm ʿălêḵem), and the response is עֲלֵיכֶם שָׁלוֹם “upon you [be] peace” (ʿălêḵem šālôm).
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Sean O'Buadhaigh

Got it. Thanks for that.
Sean O'Buadhaigh
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Sean O'Buadhaigh wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:47 pm Got it. Thanks for that.
And from now on you’re posting without moderation. Welcome to the forum.

בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה בְּבֹאֲךָ אֶל־קְהִלָּתֵ֫נוּ הַוִּרְטוּאָ֫לִית!
bārûḵ   ʾattâ   bəḇōʾăḵâ   ʾel-qəhillāṯḗnû   havvirṭûʾā́lîṯ.
“Blessed are you in your coming to our virtual community.”
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Max S-R

Post by Max S-R »

Sean O'Buadhaigh wrote:My game plan is faithfully to do fifteen minutes of Hebrew each day.
That's good thinking, boyo. I have that Weingreen book on loan from the library, and it seems pretty excellent for that scheme. Good luck.
יְהִי אִתְּךָ אוֹר־‏יְהוָה Sit tecum lux Adonaj.
"I yam what I yam." - Popeye the Sailor Man
שְׁתֵה בַיּוֹם עֲדֵי יִפֶן וְשֶׁמֶשׁ
עֲלֵי כַסְפּוֹ יְצַפֶּה אֶת זְהָבוֹ

8-)
Sean O'Buadhaigh

Jason Hare wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:49 pm And from now on you’re posting without moderation. Welcome to the forum.

בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה בְּבֹאֲךָ אֶל־קְהִלָּתֵ֫נוּ הַוִּרְטוּאָ֫לִית!
bārûḵ   ʾattâ   bəḇōʾăḵâ   ʾel-qəhillāṯḗnû   havvirṭûʾā́lîṯ.
“Blessed are you in your coming to our virtual community.”
Glad to be here! Thanks!
Sean O'Buadhaigh