Introducing Rolf J. Furuli

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
R.J. Furuli

Introducing Rolf J. Furuli

Post by R.J. Furuli »

Education
I started my academic studies at the University of Oslo when I was 40 years old. I received my MA in Semitic linguistics in 1995. I used ten years to study all the 90,00 finite and infinite verbs of the Tanakh, the DSS, the Inscriptions, and Ben Sira. I received my Ph.D in 2005, and my dissertation was entitled "A New Understanding of the Verbal System of Classical Hebrew An Attempt to Distinguish Between Semantic and Pragmatic Factors." I also have exams in Greek, Latin, and Applied lingustics.

Work
I have taught courses in Akkadian, Aramaic, Ethiopic, Hebrew, Phoenician, Syriac, and Ugaritic at the University of Oslo and at The Norwegian Institute of Paleography and Historical Philology. I have also translated many documents from the mentioned languages and from Sumerian into Norwegian. I have written two books on Bible translation and two books on Assyrian, Babylonian, Egyptian, and Persian chronology. I retired from the University of Oslo in 2011.

Interests and Projects
My interests are Bible translation, astronomical and dated cuneiform tablets, and historical and linguistic issues related to the Tanakh and the Christian Greek Scriptures. At present I am working on a book entitled: "When Was the Book of Daniel Written? A Linguistic, Philological and Historical Approach," where I question the view that the book of Daniel was written in the second century BCE in connection with the acts of Antiochus IV. I am also working on a project where I compare the accounts of the creation and the flood in Genesis with the Babylonian and Sumerian accounts, and Akkadian and Pseudepigraphic prophecies with the prophecies in the Tanakh, in order to find similarities and differences.
Andrew Thomson

Re: Introducing Rolf J. Furuli

Post by Andrew Thomson »

Dear Professor ... I, A. Thomson from Australia ~ some years ago - phoned you about the calibre of the 'New World Bible Translation Committee's" work? Which you confirmed to me.

A NWT appendix article cites the 1971 Hebrew Union College Annual as a source of the translator's information ...

A Administrator of that College in Cincinnati Ohio U.S.A. told me that the Annual's subscribers mostly are the College's former* students.

Sir, might you have any idea about a way, or knowledge of another person who may have some idea about how to contact the former NWBTC members?

Sir, a 30 year body of work has been done in Australia that the New World Translation is key, too#:

#A 2015-16, 60 page peer reviewed article has been written about the ~ Australian body of work.

I - don't know (if) you are - contactable - but if you were to contact me via - native_title@hotmail.com - I surely could e-mail you a copy of said #Australian article that the NWT is key, too, and would so much welcome any information you may have on how I might attempt to contact the former NWBTC members of which some may have and still may be *Cincinnati Ohio residents who *formerly attended Hebrew Union College of Cincinnati Ohio USA ...

I am attempting to impart #said Australian article - to the former NWBTC members, Sir.

Thank you.

Andrew Thomson
Tasmania Australia
R.J. Furuli

Re: Introducing Rolf J. Furuli

Post by R.J. Furuli »

Dear Andrew,

I have been a member of b-hebrew from the middle of the 1990s. Suddenly b-hebrew disappeared, and I coud not find it on the Internet. Recently I made a search, I found b-hebrew and became a member again. When I looked at the Introductions, I found this introduction of myself from 2013. There is one error though: the number of verbs is 80,000 and not 90,000. I am not sure what you are after in you post. Could you elucidate this, on the list or off-list?

Best regards,

Rolf J. Furuli
Stavern
Norway