Introducing Nathan Lovell

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Nathan Lovell

Introducing Nathan Lovell

Post by Nathan Lovell »

Like Stephen Shead (who I feel like I really should have met but haven't--hello!) I also was a computer geek in my former life: a BEng (Software) followed by a PhD in Robotics and Artificial Intelligence. After a while teaching Math and Computer Science I switched to Theology, studying a BDiv at Moore Theological College in Sydney. I now teach Hebrew, Old Testament and Philosophy at George Whitefield College in Cape Town, South Africa. I'm also embarking on a second PhD, this time on the book of Kings.
Nathan Lovell
George Whitefield College, South Africa
Ken M. Penner

Re: Introducing Nathan Lovell

Post by Ken M. Penner »

I've noticed quite a few Sydney-educated folk have introduced themselves already.
Also, the number of members who studied computer science is remarkable. Before biblical studies, I studied photogrammetry/land surveying at British Columbia Institute of Technology, and Computer Science at Simon Fraser University. That was all before 1990!
Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.
St. Francis Xavier University
stephens

Post by stephens »

It's a conspiracy. We're trying to take over the world using our army of Hebrew-speaking droids. I've got South America covered, Nathan's taking Africa (we're both beginning from the bottom) :lol: Either that, or we're particularly friendly types.

(And yes, Nathan, I feel like that too - hi, nice to e-meet you!)
Stephen Shead
Centro de Estudios Pastorales
Santiago, Chile
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Ken M. Penner wrote:Also, the number of members who studied computer science is remarkable.
LOL!

I didn’t study computer science. I just paid for some of my college by working as a student intern programming for research. That was back in the days of punchcards, JCL and IBM 360 mainframes. One of my memories is going to the grad students hired as student debugs and getting the response,“You’re doing what??!” after which I and the staff debug got to know each other fairly well. I also found an undocumented bug in the language. Such is the difference between studying in class, and using it.

“Using it” for Biblical Hebrew is reading the whole text of Tanakh through, cover to cover.

Karl W. Randolph.