Introduction - Bob MacDonald

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
bobmacdonald

Introduction - Bob MacDonald

Post by bobmacdonald »

I have studied Biblical Hebrew since 2006. I read it daily. It is still difficult to become fluent. Oral practice is essential and is hard to come by without another fluent reader.

My main work is in seeing structural elements in Hebrew poetry, in particular recurring words. I have published a book on the Psalms, Seeing the Psalter, Energion 2013, recently listed in the Book List for SOTS for 2014 and reviewed by Susan Gillingham of Oxford.

My current work is in decoding the te-amim as a musical sign language. I have coded a program to transcribe the Leningrad codex in Unicode to produce automatically a musical score from the Hebrew in MusicXML. The experiments I have done are described on my blog http://meafar.blogspot.ca where you will find the shared Google Drive space where I store my examples. I can produce a score in a few minutes if there are particular examples that anyone would like. The program is written in Oracle PL/SQL and is not available to the public because too much infrastructure is required to make it available at the moment.
SteveMiller

Re: Introduction - Bob MacDonald

Post by SteveMiller »

Hi Bob,
Welcome to B-Hebrew. I also love Psalms. I put them to a tune which makes it possible for me to memorize them.
I find that to enjoy a psalm, as with a hymn, it is important to use a fitting tune.
You can see what I wrote about choosing the tune for Psalm 22 in my website below.
Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit
http://www.voiceInWilderness.info
Honesty is the best policy. - George Washington (1732-99)