Hello

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
rjwalker

Hello

Post by rjwalker »

Hello. I'm joining the group formally now, after having been a lurker for about 20 years, in order to ask my own questions ...

Relevant background about me: I have a BD from the University of London, which I did through their International Programme. I did all the Hebrew (and Greek) courses on offer. I have used Anki (http://ankisrs.net) to learn (so far) > 1500 words of Hebrew vocabulary – a combination of the highest-frequency words, the main textbook I learnt from (Weingreen) and the words in the set texts I had to learn for exams (Ge 42-45, Ex 1-15, Pr 1-9). I have Weingreen and Lambdin next to the bed and often use them to drill myself on paradigms and grammar ... "use it or lose it".

Irrelevant background about me: my day job uses my first degree, which is in computer science. (Gratuitous name-drop: the author of Anki was one of my students in the days when I used to teach undergraduate computer science.)

Richard Walker
Canberra
Richard Walker
Canberra
S_Walch

Re: Hello

Post by S_Walch »

Greetings Richard, and Welcome to B-Hebrew. :)

Just been and downloaded Anki - looks like a great tool that needs more publicity!
Ste Walch
ralph

Post by ralph »

S_Walch wrote:Greetings Richard, and Welcome to B-Hebrew. :)

Just been and downloaded Anki - looks like a great tool that needs more publicity!
@S_Walch

You say it needs more publicity, but have you even used the program?

It looks like a generic program and I don't see any list of hebrew words anywhere in it.
Ralph Zak
ralph

Post by ralph »

rjwalker wrote:Hello. I'm joining the group formally now, after having been a lurker for about 20 years, in order to ask my own questions ...

Relevant background about me: I have a BD from the University of London, which I did through their International Programme. I did all the Hebrew (and Greek) courses on offer. I have used Anki (http://ankisrs.net) to learn (so far) > 1500 words of Hebrew vocabulary – a combination of the highest-frequency words, the main textbook I learnt from (Weingreen) and the words in the set texts I had to learn for exams (Ge 42-45, Ex 1-15, Pr 1-9). I have Weingreen and Lambdin next to the bed and often use them to drill myself on paradigms and grammar ... "use it or lose it".

Irrelevant background about me: my day job uses my first degree, which is in computer science. (Gratuitous name-drop: the author of Anki was one of my students in the days when I used to teach undergraduate computer science.)

Richard Walker
Canberra
If you can provide the list of words you imported into that program then that'd be great.
ta
Ralph Zak
S_Walch

Post by S_Walch »

ralph wrote:@S_Walch

You say it needs more publicity, but have you even used the program?
Certainly have; from literally 10 mins after downloading it :)
It looks like a generic program and I don't see any list of hebrew words anywhere in it.
Once you register, you can do a search on ankiweb.net for anything that there might be flash cards on.

https://ankiweb.net/shared/decks/hebrew

As you can see, quite a few :)
Ste Walch