Possible tag: [tr]

Questions and discussion about B-Hebrew policies or the B-Hebrew forum.
Jason Hare

Possible tag: [tr]

Post by Jason Hare »

Hey, Kirk.

I don't know if you've noticed, but many of the tags above the textbox don't really work. For instance, the [font=] tag doesn't work with or without quotation marks. I haven't been able to get the [table] tags to work either. I'd suggest just delete obsolete tags, since they just hang around there and have no function.

Just like you added [hide] this week, I'd like to ask that we add one [tr] for "transliteration" that would stylize the font as serif default with perhaps Gentium Plus as the main font:

Code: Select all

<span style='font-family: "Gentium Plus", serif;'>TEXT</span>
Very simple and to the point to meet the needs of transliteration, since the main font on the forum doesn't allow for it. Compare t and ṯ to see that it shifts the font to some default sans-serif font:

tṯ ṯt

It would be best to simply have control over font faces, but that's too much to ask from phpBB from what I've seen. ;)
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Kirk Lowery
Site Admin

Re: Possible tag: [tr]

Post by Kirk Lowery »

I can't get to it today, but I will test your request, including the fact that [font=][/font] isn't working.

Keep in mind that if you don't have a particular font installed on your device, it won't render as expected. If you're on a MacOS machine, the names of fonts may be different that either Win10 or Linux. I've had trouble with getting the font name right before with this tag.

As for table=, could you detail what isn't working, with perhaps a Minimal Working Example (WME)? Cf. Making a table with BBCode. I'll also make a test table using the [heb] tag embedded inside the table.
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD
B-Hebrew Site Administrator & Moderator
blog: https://blogs.emdros.org/eh
Jason Hare

Re: Possible tag: [tr]

Post by Jason Hare »

It just doesn't work at all. This is what comes out:

[table]
[tr]
[th]Name[/th]
[th]Age[/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]John[/td]
[td]65[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Gitte[/td]
[td]40[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Sussie[/td]
[td]19[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

I'm not sure why there is an equal sign in the tag [table=] (also with [tr=], [td=], and [th=]). It just seems that the tags are incorrect. It's probably the same problem with [font=].

I've tried [font="Gentium Plus"] and [font=Gentium Plus] (with and without quotation marks), and neither works. I use phpBB on one of the forums that I've installed. I'll look at see if there is a way to create a tag for changing font families.

I know that there's the issue of local fonts, but that's why you write a catch-all at the end, such as "serif." :)
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳