Frequently Asked Questions

Questions and discussion about B-Hebrew policies or the B-Hebrew forum.
Kirk Lowery
Site Admin

Frequently Asked Questions

Post by Kirk Lowery »

Who runs B-Hebrew?

The moderators of B-Hebrew are responsible for maintaining an atmosphere that is conducive to public discussion of topics within its charter. The moderators are not judges of the truth or plausibility of ideas; they do not enforce commonly accepted theories or rule on the content of posts except insofar as they are within the scope of B-Hebrew. The moderators, of course, have their own views and opinions which are sometimes expressed on B-Hebrew, but in the role as a list member and not as moderator.

Upon joining the list, members are put on unmoderated status, which means that their messages are automatically posted, without first being approved by the moderators. Members who repeatedly break the list rules, especially in the area of polite and civil conduct and respect towards other members, are first warned by the moderators. If they continue to ignore the list rules, they are placed on moderation. This means that all of their messages must be read and approved before being passed on to the list. Members who continue to offend despite moderation may be unsubscribed, all at the discretion of the moderators.

Moderator Contact Information

George Athas, PhD
Director of Postgraduate Studies
Moore Theological College (Sydney, Australia)
<George dot Athas at moore dot edu dot au>

Yigal Levin, PhD
The Israel and Golda Koschitzky Department of Jewish History
Bar-Ilan University
Ramat Gan. 52900
ISRAEL
<Yigal.Levin at mail dot biu dot ac dot il>

Kirk Lowery, PhD
President & Senior Research Fellow
The J. Alan Groves Center for Advanced Biblical Research
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
<Kirk at GrovesCenter dot org>

The B-Hebrew Forum is hosted through the generosity of biblicalhumanities.org and Jonathan Robie.

Help! I don't know how to do things here!

That's what the "Questions" forum is about. Ask your questions in this forum. Please be patient. The moderators are on a steep learning curve, too!

For information about how this forum works, there is:
  • This topic! We will be adding frequently asked questions as they occur.
  • At the top of every page there is a FAQ link for general information about phpBB, the software that B-Hebrew uses.
  • Don't know what BBCode is or how to use it? When you post a new topic or edit one, there is a BBCode link for a reference sheet. You can also read more at http://www.bbcode.org/.
  • phpBB general documentation can be found at https://www.phpbb.com/support/.

What is the provenance of the Hebrew manuscript used for B-Hebrew's banner?

The text is from the Leningrad Codex, Folio 220 verso. The banner is a slice across all three text columns of the folio at the third line of each column. Depending on the size of your display, more or less of the slice will be shown. Due to the left-to-right way that the software adjusts the display of the banner, most viewers will see the left-hand column, which is a portion of Isaiah 1:15. Some viewers with wider displays will see the middle column, which is from Isa 1:6. Someone with two 27" monitors might see the right-hand column, displaying 2 Kings 25:29.

If you can see the middle column, note the unusual dagesh in the resh!

How do I write Hebrew in my posts?

There is a separate post with much more detail, but the short answer is this:
  1. Download and install the SBL Hebrew font on your computer.
  2. Use the special B-Hebrew BBCode for Hebrew characters:

Code: Select all

[heb]Hebrew text[/heb]
  3. You can "copy and paste" the Hebrew Bible by going to http://www.tanach.us/Tanach.xml.
  4. If you manually type Hebrew, make sure that your font encoding is Unicode UTF-8.
Example:

Create a new topic and type:

Code: Select all

The first word in the Hebrew Bible is [heb]בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית[/heb], which is a prepositional phrase.
When you select "Preview" or "Submit", you will see:

The first word in the Hebrew Bible is בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית, which is a prepositional phrase.

Of course, it won't look very well if you don't have SBL Hebrew installed on your computer!

I want my email discussion list back! :evil:

Life isn't fair. Sorry.

You can subscribe to topics and forums. You will get an email notifying you of changes to the topic or forum, with a link that you can click to go to the topic or forum in your web browser. Alternatively, you can regularly visit the forum's index page, where there are links to "View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics".

What does the "favicon" on the browser tag mean?

The tav stands for תַּנַ"ךְ‎, which an acronym for the three canonical divisions of the Hebrew Bible. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanakh

Can I edit or delete my post after submitting it?

Yes. Registered members may edit their posts for a period of 24 hours after submitting it. After that, only moderators may modify a post.

No. You may not delete your post after submitting it. Only a moderator may do that.

Ken M. Penner

RSS/Atom feed

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Note that you may subscribe to all of B-Hebrew using the feed at feed.php
I added this to my Outlook RSS feeds, with the result that it acts much like the old email list.
Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.
St. Francis Xavier University
talmid56

Re: Frequently Asked Questions

Post by talmid56 »

How do I create a signature to use for posts?
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
--(E 84:11) 84:12 תהלים
Kirk Lowery
Site Admin

Re: Frequently Asked Questions

Post by Kirk Lowery »

talmid56 wrote:How do I create a signature to use for posts?
There is a link at the top of any page: FAQ. This page has answers for many questions like this.

In your case: How do I add a signature for my posts?

Hope this helps.

Kirk
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD
B-Hebrew Site Administrator & Moderator
blog: https://blogs.emdros.org/eh