2 Kings 2:12 > Mark 15:34

For discussions which focus upon specific words, their origin, meaning, relationship to other ANE languages.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Saboi

2 Kings 2:12 > Mark 15:34

Post by Saboi »

The author of Mark begin the Gospel quoting the Book of Malachi and this Book concludes "I will send you Elijah" (Malachi 4:5) and in Mark 15:34 he cries and in the verse it reads "Behold, he calls Elijah".

Two problems
1. Psalm 22 is not addressing Elijah
2. Sabachthani (σαβαχθανι ) does not match any word in the Psalm

When Greeks transliterate a Hebrew word in Greek they insert dummy vowels
to aid pronunciation.

σαβαχθανι > σ βχθ νι = ת בגד ני

The word תבגד two times in the Book of Malachi

2:15 - יבגד : ἐγκαταλίπῃς
2:16 - תבגדו : ἐγκαταλίπητε

* ἐγκατα λείπω "Leave behind"
* ἔγκατα "inwards or entrails" (double meaning)

בגד (beged) "Garment"

2 Kings 2:12
And Elisha saw it, and he cried, My father, My father אבי אבי
.. So he saw him no more and he took hold of his own garment ויחזק בבגדיו
* ἐπελάβετο τῶν ἱματίων

Malachi 2:16
For one covereth violence with his garment(לבוש)

The garment of Elijah is called אדרת or ἐκδέρω means "Skin taken off" (ἐδέρω) /silent g/ and the Skin is from a Goat, Ancient Jews made wine-skin from Goat-skin which was lined with goat-bladder.
Plato Euthyd. 285d
Then Ctesippus said: I too, Socrates, am ready to offer myself to be skinned by the strangers even more, if they choose, than they are doing now, if my hide is not to end by being made into a wine-skin (Askon) , like that of Marsyas, but into the shape of virtue.

Apollodorus, Bibliothekei.4.2
He was flayed alive in a cave near Celaenae for his hubris to challenge a god. Apollo then nailed Marsyas' skin to a pine tree, near Lake Aulocrene (the Turkish Karakuyu Gölü), which Strabo noted was full of the reeds from which the pipes were fashioned.

Herodotus 7.26
The skin of Marsyas the Silenus also hangs there; the Phrygian story tells that it was flayed off him and hung up by Apollo
לבש "Wear"
- κάλυψις "Covering
- βυσσός "Linen"
- לנש > ληνός/Λίνος "Wool or Winepress" נ/ב
- οἶνον λείβειν "libation of wine" (Il.1.463, Od.3.460)
- λείπω / λάβετο / λαμμᾶ

גת "Gath" "Wine press"
- τρυγητήριον (דרך גת)
- Γολγοθᾶ

2 Kings 2:12 - And Elisha saw it, and he cried, My father, my father,
Mark 15:34 - Jesus cried with a loud voice, My God, my God

2 Kings 2:12 - he took hold of his own clothes(ἱματίων ) and rent them in two(διέρρηξεν ) pieces.
Mark 15:24 - and they parted(διαμερίζω) his garments(ἱμάτιον)

2 Kings 2:11 -Elijah went up by a whirlwind (συσσεισμῷ )
Mat 28:2 - And, behold, there was a great whirlwind (σεισμός )
Leviticus 16:21
And Aaron shall lay both his hands upon the head of the live Satyr, and confess over him all the iniquities, Sins and transgressions putting them upon the head of the Satyr, and shall send him away by the hand of a fit man into the wilderness

Leviticus 16:22
And the Satyr shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a land not inhabited: and he shall let go the goat in the wilderness.

Leviticus 16:26
And he that let go the Satyr for the scapegoat(ἄφεσιν) shall wash his clothes, and bathe his flesh in water, and afterward come into the camp.
The Septuagint translates Scapegoat (עזאזל) as αφεσις which is the word used in Mark 1:4 "Remission"
and αφεσις is the word חפשה (Haphash) "Liberty" but also means woven-fabic (for horse riding)
then related too ἵππιος "Of a horse" (2 Kings 2:12 )

Lee Mcgee