Deuteronomy 33:12 יְדִ֣יד

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Michael W Abernathy

Deuteronomy 33:12 יְדִ֣יד

Post by Michael W Abernathy »

Deuteronomy 33:12
לְבִנְיָמִ֣ן אָמַ֔ר יְדִ֣יד יְהֹוָ֔ה יִשְׁכֹּ֥ן לָבֶ֖טַח עָלָ֑יו חֹפֵ֤ף עָלָיו֙ כָּל־הַיּ֔וֹם וּבֵ֥ין כְּתֵיפָ֖יו שָׁכֵֽן׃
I could only find one instance of יְדִ֣יד in the Hebrew Bible. Is it a variant of דּוֹד? Is there a significant difference in meaning?
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy
Schubert

Re: Deuteronomy 33:12 יְדִ֣יד

Post by Schubert »

Michael, according HALOT in Bibleworks, there are several other occurences of the word, including Psalms 60:7 and 108:7.

Interestingly, two of the other occurences listed in HALOT are in Isaiah 5:1, where in one case the word is spelt as what you described as a variant (my computer is temporarily unwilling to copy and paste the Hebrew). My guess is that there's a reason for these different spellings but I'll leave to others the answer to that issue.
John McKinnon
Isaac Fried

Re: Deuteronomy 33:12 יְדִ֣יד

Post by Isaac Fried »

דיד is a variant of
דיד, זיז, טיט, סיס, ציץ, שיש
and hence the basic meaning of ידיד as well as דוֹד (also דוּד and דד) is 'grown-up'.
Related to this are עדד and עזז as in Ps. 20:9(8)
הֵמָּה כָּרְעוּ וְנָפָלוּ וַאֲנַחְנוּ קַּמְנוּ וַנִּתְעוֹדָד
KJV: They are brought down and fallen: but we are risen, and stand upright.
and in Ps. 24:8
מִי זֶה מֶלֶךְ הַכָּבוֹד יהוה עִזּוּז וְגִבּוֹר יהוה גִּבּוֹר מִלְחָמָה
KJV: Who is this King of glory? The Lord strong and mighty, the Lord mighty in battle.

I doubt that ידיד is for על יד, 'at hand, nearby'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University