Gen. 2:4, חטף-פתח hateph-pathah

The main place for discussion the Hebrew Bible, its language and message.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Isaac Fried

Gen. 2:4, חטף-פתח hateph-pathah

Postby Isaac Fried » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:45 pm

We read there
בְּיוֹם עֲשׂוֹת יהוה אֱלֹהִים אֶרֶץ וְשָׁמָיִם
KJV: "in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens"
with עֲשׂוֹת marked with the the curious ניקוּד of חטף-פתח hateph-pathah, which appears to consist of a patah and a nearby schwa (called here חטף hateph for a תנוּעה חטוּפה.)
I recall that in school we were told the "official" understanding of this mark as indicating a schwa "mobile". With time I came to deny the existence of this sound, and now believe that the hateph-pathah (or rather the schwa-pathah) is a compromise marking combined to accommodate different reading traditions heard at the time of the NIQUD insertion; one with a schwa and one with a patah.
I always read the hateph-pathah as an A, namely עֲשׂוֹת ASOT (as I also don't distinguish in reading between an aleph and an eyin).

Isaac Fried, Boston University

Isaac Fried

Re: Gen. 2:4, חטף-פתח hateph-pathah

Postby Isaac Fried » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:11 pm

Today I have heard from someone knowledgeable the following interesting understanding of the reading of the hateph-pathah: the pathah at the side of the schwa (the hateph) is placed there to indicate that the schwa needs to be extended into a schwa "mobile". It is clever but, in my opinion, a mere muse. There is no schwa "mobile" in Hebrew.

Isaac Fried

Re: Gen. 2:4, חטף-פתח hateph-pathah

Postby Isaac Fried » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:01 pm

I also follow the ארץ ישראל Eretz-Israel tradition and make no distinction in the reading of the qametz and the patah; I read them both as A, and so also the hateph-qametz.
The Hebrew Academy in Jerusalem insists, in an official directive, on the readings
צָהֳרַיִם (midday) tsohorayim
מָחֳרָת (next day) mohorat
נָעֳמִי No‘omi
which I find tasteless and awkward. Exercising my right to freedom of expression I prefer in all my public readings the, officially frowned upon: tsaharayim, maharat, Na'ami.

Return to “General Discussion”