Looking for a particular type of synonymous parallelism (Zech. 9.9 as exemplar)

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Philitas

Looking for a particular type of synonymous parallelism (Zech. 9.9 as exemplar)

Post by Philitas »

Many if not most scholars think that ועל עיר בן אתנות in Zechariah 9.9's infamous רכב על חמור ועל עיר בן אתנות is just a poetic restatement of על חמור -- sometimes called epexegetical -- and not a true second animal.

And we have a great intertextual (and grammatical) parallel to this in Genesis 49.11.

What I'm wondering, though, is if anyone could help me scrounge up a longer list of close grammatical parallels to this, where pretty much the first item/thing is poetically restated in a second clause (ideally with a conjunctive vav), preposition and all, but still governed by the same single verb.

I'm particularly looking for instances that include the preposition in the restatement -- though, again, with the second clause still being governed by the original verb. Again, Genesis 49.11 is a great parallel.

I'm currently looking through a few different Hebrew grammars, but figured I'd see if anyone could direct me to something more quickly off-hand. Thanks a lot!
Philitas Koan,
University of Memphis
SteveMiller

Re: Looking for a particular type of synonymous parallelism (Zech. 9.9 as exemplar)

Post by SteveMiller »

Isa 13:12 - (I think it refers to 2 men.)
Ps 8:4 - (I think enosh refers to mankind, and ben-adam to man individually)
Num 27:21
Ps 80:14-15
Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit
http://www.voiceInWilderness.info
Honesty is the best policy. - George Washington (1732-99)