2 Samuel 22 vs Psalms 18

For discussions which focus upon specific words, their origin, meaning, relationship to other ANE languages.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Isaac Fried

Re: 2 Samuel 22 vs Psalms 18

Post by Isaac Fried »

You say : "So the basic building blocks of both Greek & Hebrew are identical." Would you clarify to us please what are, according to you, the "basic building blocks" of the Hebrew language.

Isaac Fried, Boston University
Saboi

Re: 2 Samuel 22 vs Psalms 18

Post by Saboi »

The most basic building blocks, the Phoenician Script, Case endings or the various prefixes and suffixes.

VENI VIDI VICI ( I am, i saw, i conquered)

This a famous Latin phrase of Julius Caesar, this is a good exercises, try translating the phrase in Greek and Hebrew
and they are many ways to do it.

ήλθον εἶδον ἐνίκησα
ἔβαν εἶδον ἐνίκησα
ואבא וארא ונצחתי

ήλθον "I Came" (root - έρχομαι )

έρχ is semantically and phonetically identical with ילך (ιλχ), הלך (ηλχ) and דרך (δρχ) and cognates are τρέχω, τρόχῳ and רכב (ρκβ), thus from הלך (ηλχ) i can produce הלךתי (ηλχθι) "I Came", the succeeding θ eliminates the χ hence הלתי (ηλθι) then we close this with an accusative ending, הלתימ (ηλθιμ́) henceforth ήλθον.

I created a genuine Greek word from Hebrew alone, these are interchanging languages.

The Latin ending, -i, in the words Veni, Vidi, Vici is a shortened form of תי ( I did) .