Trusters in Him different spellings

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Kenneth Greifer

Trusters in Him different spellings

Post by Kenneth Greifer »

In some quotes, the word "trusters" or "ones seeking refuge" in Him or in You is spelled חוסי or חוסים. For examples, see 2 Samuel 22:31, Psalm 2:12, Psalm 5:12, and Psalm 18:30. Why is the word spelled different ways?
Kenneth Greifer
Kirk Lowery
Site Admin

Re: Trusters in Him different spellings

Post by Kirk Lowery »

‎הַחֹסִים is the masculine plural absolute form of the participle.

In Psalm 2:12, ‎כָּל־ח֥וֹסֵי בֽוֹ all who take shelter in him the form is the masculine plural construct of the participle.
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD
B-Hebrew Site Administrator & Moderator
blog: https://blogs.emdros.org/eh
Kenneth Greifer

Kirk,

I thought that the word חוסי would have a noun after it, if it is in the construct form, if I understand what a construct is. I understand it to mean that you say "of something." I am surprised that it can be used before בו. Is the construct form used for other words like חוסי before words like בו? Is this common?
Kenneth Greifer
Kenneth Greifer

I should have listed Psalm 18:31 and not 18:30.
Kenneth Greifer
Kirk Lowery
Site Admin

Post by Kirk Lowery »

Yes, the most common usage is a noun or noun phrase following a construct (aka, genitive). However, both prepositional phrases and even whole clauses can follow the construct. Cf. Waltke & O'Connor, Introduction to Biblical Hebrew Syntax, p. 155, section 9.6a-b:

----------------------------------------------------------
9.6 Construct State before Phrases and Clauses
a
The genitive case is ordinarily a property of a single noun or pronoun, but, as mentioned earlier, two nouns can stand for one in the genitive slot, after a construct (9.3b). It is also possible for prepositional phrases and even entire clauses to stand after a construct; these constituents are thus treated as a single noun (cf. 4.4.1).
b
A prepositional phrase most often stands after a construct participle, a usage similar to the genitive of a mediated object; in the usual phrase the preposition is omitted (9.5.2), while in these constructions it is retained.

...and Ps 2:12 is specifically cited as an example.
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD
Kenneth Greifer

Does anyone know if Gesenius explains this subject in his grammar book too? Actually, ignore this post and look at the next one please.
Last edited by Kenneth Greifer on Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenneth Greifer
Kenneth Greifer

Kirk Lowery wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:26 pm Yes, the most common usage is a noun or noun phrase following a construct (aka, genitive). However, both prepositional phrases and even whole clauses can follow the construct. Cf. Waltke & O'Connor, Introduction to Biblical Hebrew Syntax, p. 155, section 9.6a-b:

9.6 Construct State before Phrases and Clauses
a
The genitive case is ordinarily a property of a single noun or pronoun, but, as mentioned earlier, two nouns can stand for one in the genitive slot, after a construct (9.3b). It is also possible for prepositional phrases and even entire clauses to stand after a construct; these constituents are thus treated as a single noun (cf. 4.4.1).
b
A prepositional phrase most often stands after a construct participle, a usage similar to the genitive of a mediated object; in the usual phrase the preposition is omitted (9.5.2), while in these constructions it is retained.

...and Ps 2:12 is specifically cited as an example.
Does anyone know if Gesenius explains this in his grammar book too?
Kenneth Greifer
Kirk Lowery
Site Admin

Post by Kirk Lowery »

GKC § 130. "Wider Use of the Construct State". Ps 2:12 is specifically mentioned in § 130a(1).

See also GKC § 89; § 128 and § 129 for a complete discussion of the construct.

Although I prefer Waltke & O'Connor as the clearer explanation, based on more recent linguistic theory and study.

HTH,
Kirk
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD
Kenneth Greifer

Kirk,
I looked at the book by Waltke and O'Connor on Googlebooks where you can see a lot of it for free. It has a lot of good examples for every topic it explains, but you really have to know grammar at a high level to use books like that. I never studied grammar at a high level, so I only understand very little of what it says. I do understand the examples, though, so I like what I have seen of the book. I didn't look at Gesenius' book yet, but I want to later. I think it is possible to explain technical subjects like Biblical Hebrew grammar with easier non-technical words and with good examples, but the people who write and read those kinds of books are usually well-educated in grammar to begin with. I don't think there is or will ever be a kind of "Biblical Hebrew Grammar for Dummies" that actually discusses higher level grammar in an easy way. It is too bad.
Kenneth Greifer