הִתְאַפֵּק HI-T-APEK Gen. 45:1

For discussions which focus upon specific words, their origin, meaning, relationship to other ANE languages.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Isaac Fried

הִתְאַפֵּק HI-T-APEK Gen. 45:1

Post by Isaac Fried »

We read there:
וְלֹא יָכֹל יוֹסֵף לְהִתְאַפֵּק לְכֹל הַנִּצָּבִים עָלָיו וַיִּקְרָא הוֹצִיאוּ כָל אִישׁ מֵעָלָי וְלֹא עָמַד אִישׁ אִתּוֹ בְּהִתְוַדַּע יוֹסֵף אֶל אֶחָיו
KJV: "Then Joseph could not refrain himself before all them that stood by him; and he cried, Cause every man to go out from me. And there stood no man with him, while Joseph made himself known unto his brethren."
NIV: "Then Joseph could no longer control himself before all his attendants, and he cried out, “Have everyone leave my presence!” So there was no one with Joseph when he made himself known to his brothers."
Seems to me that היא-את-אפק = הִתְאַפֵּק is הִתְאַבֵּק, '(emotionally) struggled, or wrestled,' with himself' as in Gen. 32:25(24)
וַיִּוָּתֵר יַעֲקֹב לְבַדּוֹ וַיֵּאָבֵק אִישׁ עִמּוֹ עַד עֲלוֹת הַשָּׁחַר
NIV: "So Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till daybreak."
וַיֵּאָבֵק has certainly nothing to do with dust אבק as in Isaiah 29:5
וְהָיָה כְּאָבָק דַּק הֲמוֹן זָרָיִךְ וּכְמֹץ עֹבֵר הֲמוֹן עָרִיצִים
KJV: "Moreover the multitude of thy strangers shall be like small dust, and the multitude of the terrible ones shall be as chaff that passeth away"
Nor the אבָקָה, 'powder', of Song 3:6.

Isaac Fried, Boston University
Saboi

Re: הִתְאַפֵּק HI-T-APEK Gen. 45:1

Post by Saboi »

אפק is not a root word, since the homolog is ἀμπέχω, a compound of ἀμφί & έχω,
similar to the word Memphis(מף), the M drops out before the P, ἀμπέχω > ἀπέχω and we strip
the vowels, ἀπχ and we produce אפק, alt. ἀνέχω. (פ/ν).

έχω = יש
ἀμφί = על־פי, מפי *Exodus 14:9

על פי יש

So possible to derive from just Hebrew alone.