Names of Places

The main place for discussion the Hebrew Bible, its language and message.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
sethmknorr

Names of Places

Postby sethmknorr » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:04 pm

I have read that people believe that Kenite קֵינִ֖י in (1 Samuel 15:6) are people named after Cain קַ֔יִן (Genesis 4:1).

This really doesn't make sense since Cain's people would have been killed in the flood. It seems like it would make more sense that the Kenites would be named after Cainan קֵינָ֔ן (genesis 5:10).

Second, what are the odds that Salem שָׁלֵ֔ם (Genesis 14:18) is named after Shelah שָׁ֑לַח (Genesis 10:24)

In both cases, it appears to me that both names are pretty similar.

I realize it is hard to be dogmatic on this, but would it be plausible?

Interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

Thanks,

Seth Knorr

Saboi

Re: Names of Places

Postby Saboi » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:17 am

קֵינִ֖י ,קנז, קַ֔יִן and קֵינָ֔ן are all forms of φοῖνιξ 'Phoenician', 'ק/φ'

שָׁ֑לַח/στέλλω 'dispatch, send out, to despatch on an expedition.
עבר/ἠπείρω, ' to make into mainland, land opposite the sea, a continent, esp. of Asia.
Lee Mcgee

kwrandolph

Postby kwrandolph » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:15 am

sethmknorr wrote:I have read that people believe that Kenite קֵינִ֖י in (1 Samuel 15:6) are people named after Cain קַ֔יִן (Genesis 4:1).

This really doesn't make sense since Cain's people would have been killed in the flood. It seems like it would make more sense that the Kenites would be named after Cainan קֵינָ֔ן (genesis 5:10).

Not likely, seeing as only one of his sons had descendants that survived the flood. It’s more likely that there was another person after the flood whose name was קין whose descendants were named after him.

sethmknorr wrote:Second, what are the odds that Salem שָׁלֵ֔ם (Genesis 14:18) is named after Shelah שָׁ֑לַח (Genesis 10:24)

Not at all. While there are a few examples of nouns ending in mem derived from roots ending in heh, there are none from roots ending in chet.

sethmknorr wrote:In both cases, it appears to me that both names are pretty similar.

I realize it is hard to be dogmatic on this, but would it be plausible?

Interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

Thanks,

Seth Knorr

You need to be careful there. Just because words sound similar, doesn’t mean that they are related. Even homographs (words with the same spelling) can come from different roots.

Karl W. Randolph.

SteveMiller

Postby SteveMiller » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:59 am

Hi Seth,
Welcome back to b-hebrew!

Kenites are distinct from Canaanites in Gen 15:18-21 & Judg 1:16-17.
They are referred to as ‎ קָ֑יִן, the same name as Cain, in Num 24:22 & Judges 4:11, but as you said, it is not possible that they are descendants of Cain.
Interestingly, Hobab, Moses' brother in law, is called a Kenite. (Judg 4:11)
The Kenites were friends of Israel (Judg 4:17-22;5:24-27; 1Sam 15:6).
Today's Druze consider themselves the descendants of Jethro, the father of Hobab.
And the Druze are great friends of Israel to this day. They serve with distinction is Israel's army.
Israel is today protecting the Druze villages in Syria from the terrorists who want to wipe them out.
Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit
http://www.voiceInWilderness.info
Honesty is the best policy. - George Washington (1732-99)

Return to “General Discussion”