דבק DBQ, 'cleave', Gen. 34:3

For discussions which focus upon specific words, their origin, meaning, relationship to other ANE languages.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Isaac Fried

דבק DBQ, 'cleave', Gen. 34:3

Post by Isaac Fried »

We read there
וַתִּדְבַּק נַפְשׁוֹ בְּדִינָה בַּת יַעֲקֹב וַיֶּאֱהַב אֶת הַנַּעֲרָ
KJV: "And his soul clave unto Dinah the daughter of Jacob, and he loved the damsel"
with וַתִּדְבַּק = בא-את-היא-דבק from the act דבק which is evidently but a variant of דפק, 'strike', to put together.
Indeed, the English "cleave" (German kleben, 'glue') appears also to be a variant of 'clap' and 'clip', German klopfen, 'knock, strike'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University
Isaac Fried

Re: דבק DBQ, 'cleave', Gen. 34:3

Post by Isaac Fried »

Thinking about דבק DBQ, 'cleave', and דפק DPQ, 'strike', we recall the related ספק SPQ, 'clap', of Lamentations 2:15
סָפְקוּ עָלַיִךְ כַּפַּיִם כָּל עֹבְרֵי דֶרֶךְ שָׁרְקוּ וַיָּנִעוּ רֹאשָׁ, עַל בַּת יְרוּשָׁלִָם
KJV: "All that pass by clap their hands at thee; they hiss and wag their head at the daughter of Jerusalem"

Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

Of further interest here are the roots טפח (תפח) TPX, ’swell, spread, flatten, clap’, as in Isaiah 48:13
אַף יָדִי יָסְדָה אֶרֶץ וִימִינִי טִפְּחָה שָׁמָיִם
NIV: My own hand laid the foundations of the earth, and my right hand spread out the heavens
and ספח SPX, ‘annex, append, join, add, attach’, as in Isaiah 14:1
כִּי יְרַחֵם יהוה אֶת יַעֲקֹב וּבָחַר עוֹד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל וְהִנִּיחָם עַל אַדְמָתָם וְנִלְוָה הַגֵּר עֲלֵיהֶם וְנִסְפְּחוּ עַל בֵּית יַעֲקֹב
NIV: The Lord will have compassion on Jacob; once again he will choose Israel and will settle them in their own land. Foreigners will join them and unite with the descendants of Jacob.

Saboi

Post by Saboi »

דבק means Yoke and thus the reading of ותדבק should be ἔζευξεν.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=7-p ... BD&f=false
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

It is unclear to me how “דבק means Yoke and thus the reading of ותדבק should be ἔζευξεν.” You mean that coming to וַתִּדְבַּק in 43:3 I should read it אזאוּקסן, to the utter delight and full understanding of my listeners? They would certainly be carried over by this reading to the אזיקים or זיקים, ‘fetters’, of Ps. 149:8
לֶאְסֹר מַלְכֵיהֶם בְּזִקִּים וְנִכְבְּדֵיהֶם בְּכַבְלֵי בַרְזֶל
KJV:  To bind their kings with chains, and their nobles with fetters of iron
NIV: to bind their kings with fetters, their nobles with shackles of iron

Saboi

Post by Saboi »

In Greek, there is ζεῦγος & ζυγός.

The 'εῦ /eβ/ in ζεῦγος is the ב in דבק, where-as זיקים is ζυγόν.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/mor ... s&la=greek
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/mor ... s&la=greek

Psa 119:25 - My soul cleaveth(דבקה) unto the dust
The Sept reads ἐκολλήθη 'Glue, Cement' but ἐζεύχθη is a valid and cognate reading.

Job 41:17
They are joined(ידבק) one to another, they stick together, that they cannot be sundered.
* ζεύξεται
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

“Psa 119:25 - My soul cleaveth(דבקה) unto the dust The Sept reads ἐκολλήθη 'Glue, Cement' but ἐζεύχθη is a valid and cognate reading.”
It is still not clear to me what “a valid and cognate reading” is. Do you mean a good translation? A clever and meritorious choice of a Greek term for this kind of metaphorical attachment? Does it help us in understanding the Hebrew?

Saboi

Post by Saboi »

Semantically and Phonetically, ἐζεύχθη is דבקה
- ἐζεύχθη - join in wedlock, yokes her in wedlock, of the husband, of animals yoked together.

Where as ἐκολλήθη tend to have non-human connotations, 'glue, cement, metal-joining, put together, build '
however the root of ἐκολλήθη is κόλλα which is על 'Yoke'.
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

Yes, what you call “cognate”, is the question of what word to select in the translation: glue, cement, paste, collate, join, fasten, stick.

Saboi

Post by Saboi »

Glue, collate - על
Join - דבק, על
Fasten, Paste - מצת, משח
Cement - חמר, זקם , צמד

True cognates?