The way-prefix and phonological rules

Classical Hebrew morphology and syntax, aspect, linguistics, discourse analysis, and related topics
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
R.J. Furuli

The way-prefix and phonological rules

Post by R.J. Furuli »

Dear list-members,

In connection with the history of the four conjugations I have some additional thoughts.

Let us assume that I am correct when I say that the cantors in the synagogue when they retracted the stress when they recitated narrative texts. How would the phonological laws apply? I use bold script for the vowels with stress.

I use the form we-yo-mar as a example. What happens to the form when the stress is moved to the middle syllable, as in the example *we-yo-mar? This example has an asterisk, because no Hebrew verb form can be written this way. What is wrong, is that the ultrashort shewa stands in the open syllable we before the syllable yo, which has the stress. A shewa in this position would be a violation of the phonological rules. Therefore, when the stress is retracted, this shewa must be changed into another vowel.

One way to solve the problem with the shewa is to apply the rule of pretonic lengthening. This rule says that a short vowel in an open syllable before the tone syllable (the syllable with the stress) should be changed into a long vowel. When this rule is applied, the shewa is changed to the long vowel qamets. Another way to solve the problem with shewa in the open syllable before the tone syllable, is to reduplicate the second consonant, with the result that the first syllable goes from being open to being closed. I use the examples above again (1) we-yo-mar—> (2) *we-yo-mar —> (3) *wey-yo-mar —> (4) way-yo-mær. Example (1) represents imperfect conjunctive with the stress on the last syllable. Example (2) represents a hypothetical form where the stress is retracted to the middle syllable. This form does not exist. because a shewa cannot stand in an open syllable before the tone syllable. Example (3) also represents a hypothetical form. The second consonant yod is doubled, and the result is a closed syllable with shewa before the tone syllable. A shewa cannot stand in a closed syllable, and therefore this form does not exist. The long vowel qamets neither can stand in a closed syllable without stress. Therefore, the short vowel patah is used in the initial closed syllable. Example (4) is the form that we find in the Hebrew text, with patah in the initial closed syllable, the doubling of the second consonant yod, the stress on the second open syllable, and the short vowel segol is in the last closed syllable.

So we see that the way-prefix is a changed we-prefix, which is changed to way because of the retraction of the stress, and the phonological rules regarding vowels in open and closed syllables. This means that the wayyiqtol group is one hundred percent identical with the weyiqtol group.

Best regards,

Rolf J. Furuli
Stavern
Norway