Subscription to a forum and email notification

Questions and discussion about B-Hebrew policies or the B-Hebrew forum.
Schubert

Subscription to a forum and email notification

Post by Schubert »

My understanding is that a member who has subscribed to a forum/subforum (such as "General Discussion") should receive email notification of all new posts in that forum. This is not happening for me. I'm also one of those who never received an activation email; Kirk had to activate my membership manually.

My internet provider does **not** delete suspected spam but simply attaches a note to the subject line of a suspect email. So spam filters are not the problem.

Can this issue be fixed?
John McKinnon
Kirk Lowery
Site Admin

Re: Subscription to a forum and email notification

Post by Kirk Lowery »

The issue is not with the forum software, but the underlying email server on the machine that runs b-hebrew. I'm in daily contact with Jonathan Robie, who runs the hardware and email server. The problem is being worked on. Keep in mind that we all have day jobs, so this has to be fitted into the edges of our lives.

As a workaround, consider installing an RSS reader (such as Feedly, which I use) and add the content

Code: Select all

http://biblicalhumanities.org/bhebrew/feed.php
. You'll see everything that has been posted since the last time you checked.

Please be patient; we dealing with a lot of change here. We'll get this worked out.
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD
B-Hebrew Site Administrator & Moderator
blog: https://blogs.emdros.org/eh
Schubert

Post by Schubert »

Kirk, thank you for the quick response. Part of the reason for my post was I didn't know if the powers that be were aware of the issue -- now I know that you do. I have an RSS reader in my web browser but I found when the Biblical Greek forum changed from an email list to being web based that I missed having in my face emails.

Best wishes with the inevitable teething problems.
John McKinnon
RNewman

Post by RNewman »

Thanks for all your work in setting up the new forum.

I was having trouble viewing the web page from a smartphone. At your recommendation I just installed feedly and set up the rss, the result is excellent. Far better than reading on the website or by email. Thank you.
Kirk Lowery
Site Admin

Post by Kirk Lowery »

I'm glad it worked for you.

<rant>
Smartphones may be okay for reading and short email, but I don't think they will work very well if you intend on interacting very much with folks on the forum. I use an iPad3, and I find it very laborious for text input. But it's great for reading! Give me a full-sized QWERTY keyboard for real work and productivity! :D
</rant>
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD
B-Hebrew Site Administrator & Moderator
blog: https://blogs.emdros.org/eh
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Kirk Lowery wrote:I'm glad it worked for you.

<rant>
Smartphones may be okay for reading and short email, but I don't think they will work very well if you intend on interacting very much with folks on the forum. I use an iPad3, and I find it very laborious for text input. But it's great for reading! Give me a full-sized QWERTY keyboard for real work and productivity! :D
</rant>
I'm using a Windows Surface RT (tablet) as my normal internet gateway, and it works well for input, too... and has a native keyboard and mouse attached externally - as a cover for the device. Genius! :)
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Schubert

Post by Schubert »

The email notification for subscribed fora and topics is now working. I had a collection of emails when I turned on my computer this morning. :D
John McKinnon