עֶרֶב בֹּקֶר אַלְפַּיִם וּשְׁלֹשׁ מֵאוֹת in Daniel 8:14

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
jacob

Re: עֶרֶב בֹּקֶר אַלְפַּיִם וּשְׁלֹשׁ מֵאוֹת in Daniel 8:14

Post by jacob »

Shalom,

Ok, for example, I could suggest here that maybe "evening morning" is idiomatic and further grammaticization may not be needed.

Respectfully,
Lascelles James
Lascelles James
Jamaica
jacob

Post by jacob »

Shalom,

If, for example, the expression "evening morning" was idiomatic, then the plurality could reside in the idiom itself.

L'hitraot
Lascelles James
Jamaica
Leonard Jayawardena

Post by Leonard Jayawardena »

jacob wrote: If, for example, the expression "evening morning" was idiomatic, then the plurality could reside in the idiom itself.
A belated response to your post, which I saw only today. I don't know why your post doesn't appear on the main page as the last post.

Some consider עֶרֶב בֹּקֶר in Dan. 8:14 to be an expression similar to νυχθήμερον ("a night and a day") in 2 Corinthians 11:25. On this view, עֶרֶב בֹּקֶר is equivalent to a unit of 24 hours. But in his commentary on Daniel Montgomery disagrees, saying that "for such a composition of two nouns no [examples] are found in the Semitic outside of modern dialects..." (p. 343). Further, the presence of the conjunction waw between the two nouns in 8:26 (הָעֶרֶב וְהַבֹּקֶר ) indicates that עֶרֶב בֹּקֶר should not be taken as a unit.

What do you think?

Leonard Jayawardena
Leonard Jayawardena

L'hitraot wrote
If, for example, the expression "evening morning" was idiomatic, then the plurality could reside in the idiom itself.
A belated response to your post, which I saw only today. I don't know why your post doesn't appear on the main page as the last post.

Some consider עֶרֶב בֹּקֶר in Dan. 8:14 to be an expression similar to νυχθήμερον ("a night and a day") in 2 Corinthians 11:25. On this view, עֶרֶב בֹּקֶר is equivalent to a unit of 24 hours. But in his commentary on Daniel Montgomery disagrees, saying that "for such a composition of two nouns no [examples] are found in the Semitic outside of modern dialects..." (p. 343). Further, the presence of the conjunction waw between the two nouns in 8:26 (הָעֶרֶב וְהַבֹּקֶר ) indicates that עֶרֶב בֹּקֶר should not be taken as a unit.

What do you think?

Leonard Jayawardena
jacob

Post by jacob »

Shalom Leonard

It is possible that the "evening and morning" of verse 26 is literal based on context and common usage while the ungrammatical "evening morning" of
verse 14 is jargon of Israelite sanctuary services.
Lascelles James
Jamaica
Leonard Jayawardena

jacob wrote:It is possible that the "evening and morning" of verse 26 is literal based on context and common usage while the ungrammatical "evening morning" of
verse 14 is jargon of Israelite sanctuary services.
I presume that you understand "evening morning" to be a reference to the two daily sacrifices offered in the temple. The problem with this is that in the Tanakh the morning sacrifice is always mentioned before the evening one (e.g., Ex. 29:39; Num. 28:4), so that the order in Daniel should be "morning evening" if the reference is to the daily sacrifice.

I think the "evening morning" in Daniel is rather based on "there was evening and there was morning" in Genesis 1.

Leonard Jayawardena
jacob

Post by jacob »

Shalom Leonard,

Why would one ignore the context of the vision and its focus so sharply defined by the preceding verse?
Lascelles James
Jamaica