Some Fun with Biblical Hebrew for Real Communication

A forum for the discussion of teaching methods and class objectives for teaching Classical Hebrew.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Ben Putnam

Some Fun with Biblical Hebrew for Real Communication

Post by Ben Putnam »

I have an idea for a thread which may be an enjoyable way of practicing using biblical Hebrew in "real" contexts. How would you describe the scenes? I'm going to post a picture, and if this idea receives a positive response, I'll post more like it. Try to write your description(s) using only biblical Hebrew. Be creative; think outside the box. Descriptions can be about anything that relates to the picture. Some images will have questions as prompts, like this one. You can choose to answer the prompt question, or you may want to go your own route with the image. But remember, discussions or questions about how to say something can be in English. But try to keep the descriptions themselves in biblical Hebrew. Most important of all: Have fun.

Which of these words describe something in this picture? (Hint: more than one may fit.)

a. צפור tsippor
b. עבת `avot
c. צפרדע tsfardea`
d. פרה para
e. בית bayit

(Image courtesy of africa / FreeDigitalPhotos.net)
Ben Putnam
talmid56

Re: Some Fun with Biblical Hebrew for Real Communication

Post by talmid56 »

Love the idea, but I can't see the picture (tried in both Google Chrome and Internet Explorer). Do you have a link to the web page you got the pic from, or could you send it to me here as an attachment in a PM?

Dewayne Dulaney
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
--(E 84:11) 84:12 תהלים
Ben Putnam

Post by Ben Putnam »

That's strange; it's working for me. See if this link works.

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 3040_n.jpg
Ben Putnam
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

Nope, I'm getting a "This web page is not available" error message (Chrome) and "Cannot Display This Web Page" (Explorer) error message.

Dewayne
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
Ben Putnam

Post by Ben Putnam »

Hi Dewayne,

I've tried to reproduce the error with several different browsers on my iPhone, including the Google Chrome app, but the image loads successfully in every browser I've tried so far. Is anybody else having trouble viewing the image? Maybe we'll get this kink worked out. Are your browsers up to date?

Would you mind adding a different image for us to use? Thanks for your patience with this.
Ben Putnam
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

I'll try putting something together for us tonight.

Possibly the browsers need updating. Unfortunately, they're on a work computer and I don't have sufficient privileges to do updates. (Yet I was able to download and install Chrome with no problem. Go figure.) :?:

I'll check your image on Firefox away from work and see what happens.

Dewayne Dulaney

P.S. I hope we can work something out. The more aids to communicative BH learning, the better! :D
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

תוב מוד! Benjamin, I can see your picture now in Firefox. I'll work up a response to it first, then post one myself.

שלום,

Dewayne Dulaney
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Ben Putnam wrote:I have an idea for a thread which may be an enjoyable way of practicing using biblical Hebrew in "real" contexts.
לי שאלה קטנה

הידעת את אשר תשאל ממנו . כי לא היום דברים יהודית מנעורהם ונשמע מהם לדעת היטיב . אם תשאל ממנו לכתב ספרים, לא נוכלו, כי לא נלמד היטיב . מי זה היוכל ללמדנו אם כן ולא . אם רק תשאל מה לפנינו, הלא זה קל ממנו .
Karl W. Randolph.
Pere

Post by Pere »

Did you not forget, Karl, one, two, maybe three question marks (?) in this text?
(I'm aware that there are no question marks [?] in the Hebrew text of the Tanakh)

Pere Porta
Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Northeastern Spain)
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Dear Pere:
Pere wrote:Did you not forget, Karl, one, two, maybe three question marks (?) in this text?
(I'm aware that there are no question marks [?] in the Hebrew text of the Tanakh)

Pere Porta
You answered your own question.

If that had been English, or modern Hebrew, there would have been three question marks, as there are three questions asked. But Biblical Hebrew has no question marks, hence none in what I wrote.

Yours,

Karl W. Randolph.