Foreigners, sojourners, strangers

For discussions which focus upon specific words, their origin, meaning, relationship to other ANE languages.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
seekinganswers

Foreigners, sojourners, strangers

Post by seekinganswers »

I am having a discussion with someone with regards to the words "ger," "nokhri," and "goyim." He states that these words apply to a native born Israelite who had left the land, dwelt in a foreign land, and who had returned, thus making them a "foreigner," "sojourner," or "stranger," respectively.

The impact of this being true would mean that in each instance within the Torah, Wisdom literature, and Prophets (minor and major), the use of this word would strictly applies to an Israelite rather than anyone who was a non-Israelite; thus, the Greek counterpart within the New Testament is also referring to an Israelite.

My question is, is this an accurate translation of "ger," "nokhri," and "goyin?"

Thank you,

Dustin...
Yigal Levin

Re: Foreigners, sojourners, strangers

Post by Yigal Levin »

Dear Dustin,

First of all, the answer is no. A "ger" is a "sojourner" or "temporary resident" or "resident alien" dependant on the context. "Nokhri" simply means "foreigner". "Goy" is "nation"; "Goyim" are "nations". And while "ger" and "nokhri" can apply to an Israelite who is living among non-Israelites, in the Bible they usually apply to non-Israelites living among Israelites. "Goy" can refer either to the nation of Israel or to another nation. The later Jewish use of "goyim" as "gentiles" (that is, non-Jews as individuals) only developed after the biblical period. The interpretations that you cite below are incorrect.

Blessings,

Yigal Levin
seekinganswers

Post by seekinganswers »

Mr. Levin,

Thank you for your reply. And while I agree with you on this (your) interpretation/definition, allow me to ask specifics just for the sake of my own clarity.

"But if a stranger (ger) sojourns with you and celebrates the Passover..." (Exodus 12:48)

Would this "stranger" be an Israelite who had left the land, become a "stranger," and then returned; or would this "stranger" be a non-Israelite?

"If an alien (ger) sojourns with you, or one who may be among you throughout your generations, and he wishes to make an offering by fire..." (Numbers 15:14)

Would this "alien" be an Israelite who had left the land, become a "stranger," and then returned; or would this "stranger" be a non-Israelite?

"When the LORD will have compassion on Jacob and again choose Israel, and settle them in their own land, then strangers (ger) will join them and attach themselves to the house of Jacob" (Isaiah 14:1)

And in Acts 2:10, 6:5, and 13:43, isn't the word "proselytes" (proselutos) a form of "strangers?" These were converts *from* a "pagan" culture *to* a worship of the Jewish God?

Thank you,

Dustin...

Would these "strangers" be an Israelite who had left the land, become a "stranger," and then returned; or would these "strangers" be a non-Israelites?
Jemoh66

Post by Jemoh66 »

Hi Dustin,

Yigal is correct. When Elimelech moved to Moab, he became a GER. But he can't be a GER in his homeland. Only a non-Israelite can be a GER in Israel. Again for the same reason Elimelech was a GER in Moab; because one is an expatriate. Thus the law of the corners and gleaning are for the poor and the sojourner. לֶֽעָנִ֤י וְלַגֵּר֙ תַּעֲזֹ֣ב אֹתָ֔ם Lev. 19:10. Thus the expatriate in Israel can only mean anybody but an Israelite.

Blessings,
Jonathan Mohler
Jonathan E Mohler
Studying for a MA in Intercultural Studies
Baptist Bible Theological Seminary
Yogajoe777

Post by Yogajoe777 »

I'm not a hebrew expert but have studied enough to be fairly comfortable working with interlinears and dictionaries and commentaries that deal with the underlying text. My impression of the distinction between 'ger' (sojourner) and 'nokhri' (foreigner) is as follows (I hope I'm correct.)...

Neither of the two individuals are native born Israelites who were descended from Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. But the 'ger' is one who has, in effect, gone through the naturalization process that is required for one to be able to 'sojourn in the land' and be treated equally with the native under the Law of Moses. The 'nokhri' on the other hand is one who has not gone through that process, is to be kept at arms length from YHWH's boundaries, is not accorded the same treatment under the Law of Moses and is more or less viewed in the Hebrew Scriptures with suspicion.

The distinction is that of, say, an Arab-American citizen living in NYC as opposed to a Saudi tourist who is visiting NYC. Both are of Arab stock. The former has submitted to the naturalization process, has submitted to the "Law of America" and is accorded rights under the Constitution. The Saudi tourist has not and may come under scrutiny when entering the country.

That's the clear impression I get from the words. The only groups that I have seen trying to make the point that the 'ger' is actually a native born Israelite who had been out of the country for some time but was now wanting to sojourn again in Israel as opposed to the "nokhri' who was not a descendent of Abraham and should be treated with contempt with no possibility of conversion are religious racist groups like 'Christian Identity.'

I believe 'ger' came to be more or less regarded as 'convert' in Judaism. A famous example of a ger in the Hebrew Scriptures would be Uriah the Hittite, and in post 2nd Temple Judaism an example would be Rabbi Akiba who was the son of a convert.

Am I on track here?
seekinganswers

Post by seekinganswers »

Mr. Mohler,

Thank you so much for your response. Those are my thoughts as well.

Question, the "proselytes" in Acts 2 - would these also be considered the non-Israelites who now worshiped the God of Israel?

It seems to me, while sojourner/alien/stranger *can* apply to an Israelite, in most cases it applies to a non-Israelite who had become a part of their community. And these sojourners/aliens/strangers were even circumcised, if I'm not mistaken (Exodus 12:43-48).

Thank you,

Dustin...
seekinganswers

Post by seekinganswers »

Mr. Levin and Mr. Mohler,

I was wondering if you might have a second to respond to my second post regarding the particular texts I brought up.

I'm very curious about these texts because the person I'm speaking with, allegedly, is very versed in Hebrew. I, however, am not. All I can do is base my understanding off of the text within its context.

This person is definitively stating that the "ger" in the majority of the text are Israelites who were either born in Israel and had gone to a foreign land and then come back; or they were Israelites born in a foreign lands who had come back to Israel. What's more, he states that the "proselytes" in Acts 2 could only have been Israelites as well. He states unequivocally that there were no "heathen" converts to Judaism recorded in the Scriptures at all.

I'd appreciate any wisdom you can give.

Thanks so much!

Dustin...
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

I hope this question spurs you on to greater things, especially reading the Bible through and in its original languages.
seekinganswers wrote:Mr. Levin and Mr. Mohler,

I'm very curious about these texts because the person I'm speaking with, allegedly, is very versed in Hebrew. I, however, am not. All I can do is base my understanding off of the text within its context.
Watch out for self-proclaimed experts. They might not be what they seem. You did right to come to us. People like Yigal Levin are truly well versed in Hebrew.
seekinganswers wrote:This person is definitively stating that the "ger" in the majority of the text are Israelites who were either born in Israel and had gone to a foreign land and then come back; or they were Israelites born in a foreign lands who had come back to Israel.
Nope. Garim (plural of ger) included people who were born of one tribe, but living within the borders of another tribe, e.g. an Ephraimite living in a Benjaminite town. They didn’t have to go to a foreign country to be considered a sojourner.
seekinganswers wrote:What's more, he states that the "proselytes" in Acts 2 could only have been Israelites as well.
Nope. However, you do see that thanks to the proselytism efforts by Jewish groups during the Second Temple period, there were many non-Jews who were familiar with Jewish teachings, if not actual converts.
seekinganswers wrote:He states unequivocally that there were no "heathen" converts to Judaism recorded in the Scriptures at all.
He’s wrong. Flat out wrong.

I need look no further than one of the twelve spies sent by Moses to spy out the land, namely Caleb, was a convert, he was not Jewish. Furthermore, his nephew was the first of the judges listed in the Book of Judges as a savior, Judges 3:9–11.

Another big name convert — Naaman the Syrian, cured of his leprosy 2 Kings 5:1–20.

The biggest name convert — Nebuchadnezzar in his old age, Daniel chapter 4.
seekinganswers wrote:I'd appreciate any wisdom you can give.

Thanks so much!

Dustin...
You’re welcome.

Karl W. Randolph.
seekinganswers

Post by seekinganswers »

Mr. Randolph,

Thanks so much.

Let me take a look at the examples you gave, dig in, and process that.

What do you make of Exodus 12:43-48? Is the "foreigner" in v. 43 an Israelite or non-Israelite? The "slave" in v.44 would be an Israelite or a non-Israelite? The "foreigner" in v.45 is an Israelite or a non-Israelite? Is the "stranger" in v.48 the same word or person as the "foreigner" in v.43?

Here's the thing, I have looked at the Interlinear. I also studied a ton of parallel Bibles. I went to Strongs and looked up the meaning and parallel passages. And it SEEMS to me that the foreigner and stranger are both non-Israelites who came with the israelites out of the Exodus. And these strangers, foreigners could be a part of the community and follow the customs and adhere to the Law ONLY if they were circumcised. If these people were already Israelites (born in Israel or born in a foreign land and then coming back to Israel), wouldn't they have already been circumcised?

I'm very grateful to have found this site and for the insight I've already been given.

Dustin...
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Dustin:

Looking up the uses of נכרי in the Hebrew, sometimes it merely means “stranger” as in someone who is not known, and sometimes refers to a “foreigner” because he’s a stranger. Context usually disambiguates.

Karl W. Randolph.