What's the function of ל in הָיִיתָ לְאַב הֲמֹון (Gen 17:4)?

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Philitas

What's the function of ל in הָיִיתָ לְאַב הֲמֹון (Gen 17:4)?

Post by Philitas »

Genesis 17:4

וְהָיִיתָ לְאַב הֲמֹון גֹּויִֽם
Most translations have something similar to "And you will be the father of a multitude of nations."
Would it be better to translate as something like "And you will be made into the father..."?

And are there any comparable examples to this?
Philitas Koan,
University of Memphis
SteveMiller

Re: What's the function of ל in הָיִיתָ לְאַב הֲמֹון (Gen 17

Post by SteveMiller »

haya followed by the preposition le is common and is usually translated "become". i.e. Gen 9:15; 18:18; 32:10; Exo 4:9 ....
Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit
http://www.voiceInWilderness.info
Honesty is the best policy. - George Washington (1732-99)
SteveMiller

Post by SteveMiller »

I think the meaning of the preposition le is to say, You will become "for" a father of many nations as in 2 Sam 7:14. That is, you will not turn in to another thing as in Gen 19:26 (no le), but you will become in addition to what you are, a father of a multitude of nations.
Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit
jacob

Post by jacob »

Shalom Philitas,
Maybe the writer would have used the verb asah to convey the meaning you suggested.
Lascelles James
Jamaica
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

jacob wrote:Shalom Philitas,
Maybe the writer would have used the verb asah to convey the meaning you suggested.
No, that use would be if God said he’ll make Abraham such.

But to say “you’ll become” uses the verb hayah.

Karl W. Randolph.
George Athas

Post by George Athas »

SteveMiller wrote:I think the meaning of the preposition le is to say, You will become "for" a father of many nations as in 2 Sam 7:14. That is, you will not turn in to another thing as in Gen 19:26 (no le), but you will become in addition to what you are, a father of a multitude of nations.
Steve, I think that's reading into things too much. The expression היה + ל is just a standard idiomatic way that Hebrew expression the notion of 'becoming'. It doesn't have to do with becoming 'in addition to'. It's simply saying that A 'becomes' B. This is either through A developing into B, or changing into B, performing the role of B, etc. It's just a standard Hebrew expression.

Cheers!
GEORGE ATHAS
Co-Moderator, B-Hebrew
Dean of Research, Moore Theological College (http://moore.edu.au)
Sydney, Australia
jacob

Post by jacob »

Shalom Karl,

Philitas suggested the meaning "and you will be made into." For the phrase to be translated this way, what verb would you use?
Lascelles James
Jamaica
SteveMiller

Post by SteveMiller »

George Athas wrote:
SteveMiller wrote:I think the meaning of the preposition le is to say, You will become "for" a father of many nations as in 2 Sam 7:14. That is, you will not turn in to another thing as in Gen 19:26 (no le), but you will become in addition to what you are, a father of a multitude of nations.
Steve, I think that's reading into things too much. The expression היה + ל is just a standard idiomatic way that Hebrew expression the notion of 'becoming'. It doesn't have to do with becoming 'in addition to'. It's simply saying that A 'becomes' B. This is either through A developing into B, or changing into B, performing the role of B, etc. It's just a standard Hebrew expression.

Cheers!
Thank you, George! Yes, I see that you are right. I had thought that היה + ל just referred to your 3rd meaning, but I see it is used when Aaron's and the Egyptians' staffs turned into serpents and vice-versa. Oddly, to me, היה + ל is used consistently for the staffs <-> serpents (Exo 4:3-4; 7:10-12), but היה without ל is used for the dust and ashes becoming gnats and boils (Exo 8:17; 9:10).
Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit