B-Hebrew archives at ibiblio

A place for members to share information and news about books, software, and websites of interest.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
kwrandolph

B-Hebrew archives at ibiblio

Post by kwrandolph »

Did anyone keep a complete archive of all the messages from when ibiblio hosted b-hebrew? I didn’t because I assumed that ibiblio was keeping a complete record.

It appears that ibiblio archived only about half of the messages. I wonder how much of our understanding of the discussions is distorted by the missing messages?

For example, possibly the very first discussion I took part in was titled “Jeremiah's R&W” but my message now appears to be missing, along with other messages from that thread. Though my message is missing, my message is referenced in http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-he ... 15389.html at the bottom of the page.

It appears that whole threads may be missing.

Is there another archive, or will we have to admit that much of what we wrote has disappeared into the ether?

Karl W. Randolph.
kwrandolph

Re: B-Hebrew archives at ibiblio

Post by kwrandolph »

I did a little more searching, and now I’m pretty certain that messages are missing.

My very first message had only a Bible verse listed, no commentary. That message is gone.

I presently don’t find the thread centered on the question of how to say “I wanted her to marry him, but she didn’t want to.” As I recall, there were about six or seven responses to it, before I gave my 2¢ that ended the thread. It could be that I just don’t recognize the title of that thread. The reason that thread strikes a bell in me is that it was the thread and my response that told me that I know enough Hebrew to play with the big boys, not just lurk and learn.

Now I notice that my closing conversation with Dr. Randall Buth is missing messages.

Looking at how message numbers have gaps between messages makes me think that about half the messages were not archived.

So if there isn’t another archive, then the missing messages are lost to the ether.

Karl W. Randolph.