What was created on day one?

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Isaac Fried

Re: What was created on day one?

Post by Isaac Fried »

A friend of mine confided in me today his opinion that the terrible natural law of conservation of energy was enacted only after Adam and his wife were evicted from the garden of the Lord.

Isaac Fried, Boston University
Yigal Levin

Post by Yigal Levin »

And this is relevant to Hebrew in what way?

Yigal Levin
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

The relevance lies in lending further credence to the interchangeability of the Hebrew letters ע eiyn and א alep. Here, that what is meant by גן עדן GAN EDEN, the Garden of Eden, of Gen. 3:23, is reasonably גן אדן 'the garden of the Lord, the ADON'.

Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

Last night while reading Genesis 2-3 my daughter pointed out to us that she detects a whiff of uncertainty in פן תמותון PEN TMUTUN of 3:3; as compared to כי תמותון KIY TMUTUN.

Indeed, Adam takes the forbidden fruit offered to him by his wife with equanimity, without uttering even one single word of protest, or precaution about impending death, as if he was sure that God will not exterminate his purpose of creation.

The implied point of the story is clearly that man was not created fully formed, but rather passed through an evolutionary process of constitutional perfection. By sharing the fruit, Eve saved her husband from being left a Neanderthal.

Then, man was barred from the tree of life, namely from the ability to use his ultimate intelligence to discover the secret of eternal life, which is true even to this day of the all-powerful science.

Mark Lightman

Post by Mark Lightman »

Isaac Fried wrote:The word טוב TOB is a variant of צוב COB, 'solid, stable, firm, sound', יציב It is the opposite of רע RA, 'flimsy, shaky, unsound, shakable', as in Is. 24:18-20
שׁלום יצחק

This particular etymology, whether historically (historically!) accurate or not, could be helpful in remembering a rare word by associating it with a more familiar one.

!תודה רבה
Mark Lightman
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Mark Lightman wrote: This particular etymology, whether historically (historically!) accurate or not, could be helpful in remembering a rare word by associating it with a more familiar one.
Mark: Most of us politely ignore Isaac Fried and his untenable theories, because they are wrong and illogical, but he can’t recognize it.

1) he violates the etymological error rule. Just because two words look similar doesn’t mean that they’re from the same root. A common example given in English is the verb “strike” which, when looking at cognate languages and history, are at least two homonyms since middle English, if not earlier. As you know, homonyms are two or more words that sound the same but have different meanings. Homonyms are also found in Biblical Hebrew (actually many may be homographs, same writing without vowels, but may have been pronounced differently).

2) He freely mixes up letters that the ancient Hebrews didn’t.

Some of us tried to discuss his theories with him in the past, but found it futile. Today, if I find a posting by him, I just ignore it. You may go ahead and read it, but just remember the errors mentioned above.

Karl W. Randolph.
Mark Lightman

Post by Mark Lightman »

kwrandolph wrote:Most of us politely ignore Isaac Fried and his untenable theories, because they are wrong and illogical, but he can’t recognize it.
Hi, Karl.

The thought has occurred to me that Dr. Fried is producing a comic satire exposing the flaws of historical-comparative linguistics, which some people see as equally untenable. But maybe I am being led astray by the fact that he is such a witty and artful writer.

שָׁבוּעַ טוֹב
Mark Lightman
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

What is generally termed "Linguistics", I prefer to call "Englishtics", the articulate talk on the relationship between the neophyte English and its more or less ancient Indo-European precursors (from before English did us the inestimable favor of doing away with gender.) This leisurely academic indulgence in the European parlance has nothing to do with Hebrew.

Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

Mark אשר

You are right in seeing the entire forest as being interconnects at the roots. For instance, once you accept that the Hebrew roots דבר DBR and צבר CBR are cousins, you realize that דיבר DIYBER, 'talked', is but ציבר CIYBER, 'gathered צבר a string of clustered words into a colloquy.'

Mark Lightman

Post by Mark Lightman »

Isaac Fried wrote:...once you accept that the Hebrew roots דבר DBR and צבר CBR are cousins, you realize that דיבר DIYBER, 'talked', is but ציבר CIYBER, 'gathered צבר a string of clustered words into a colloquy.'
One thinks, perhaps, of Greek λέγω, "I pick up, gather," and λέγω, "I speak."

שׁלום חבר
Mark Lightman