Kind of Genitive in Psa 76,11 ?

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Peter

Kind of Genitive in Psa 76,11 ?

Post by Peter »

Dear friends,

I'm wondering if חֲמַת אָדָם in Psa 76,11 speaks of the wrath of God on mankind or the wrath of man (Gen. subj. or object.)? The Targum implies that it's the wrath of God on man. That means who is exercising the wrath: God or man?
Do you have any ideas ?
Yours
Peter, Germany
Isaac Fried

Re: Kind of Genitive in Psa 76,11 ?

Post by Isaac Fried »

The KJV translation is: "Surely the wrath of man shall praise thee: the remainder of wrath shalt thou restrain", while the NIV translates this verse as: "Surely your wrath against mankind brings you praise, and the survivors of your wrath are restrained." The Luther bible has it as: "Wenn Menschen wider dich wüten, so legst du Ehre ein; und wenn sie noch mehr wüten, bist du auch noch gerüstet."

All not making great sense to me.

The two verses 11+12 are in Hebrew

בקום למשפט אלהים להושיע כל ענוי ארץ סלה
  כי חמת אדם תודך שארית חמת תחגר

It appears to me, based on plain logic and simplistic reading that the חמת אדם XAMAT ADAM are those affected by the wrath of the evil doers among mankind. It is they, the hurt, who will thank God for delivering them in this instance of His rising to mete out justice. Similarly, the שארית חמת are the survivors, the left over, of rapacity, which God will "gird" יחגור with strength. Compare the

חגרה בעוז מתניה ותאמץ זרועתיה

"She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms" of Proverbs 31:17

Isaac Fried Boston University
Peter

Re: Kind of Genitive in Psa 76,11 ?

Post by Peter »

Thank you Isaak, for you interesting comment ! Two things puzzle me to accept that it's the wrath of man. 1) in the lines above the judgement of God on the man's evil is discussed - then the conjunction Ki is starting this sentence, which intruduces grounds for the preceeding Statement. That means, we'd see a shift from the judging God because of this wrath on man's iniquity to the wrath coming from man (which appears unnatural to me ), then I don't understand why "Ki" is being used as connector (an explanation would be that the previous Statements is due to God gloryfing himself through judgement). But I can understand your Statement. Just have further questions.
Thank you again !
Yours
Peter, Germany