(relatively) easy Psalms?

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Mark Lightman

(relatively) easy Psalms?

Post by Mark Lightman »

The Psalms are difficult of course, much harder to read than, say Genesis. But I've noticed that some (1 and 8) seem a little easier than others (2-5.) Are there any that strike you as relatively easy? Are there any that use ordinary and common words rather than the rare poetic words that make them so hard?

On the other end of the spectrum, which are the ones whose literary value make them a must-read, regardless of difficulty?

Mark Lightman
Mark Lightman
kwrandolph

Re: (relatively) easy Psalms?

Post by kwrandolph »

Mark Lightman wrote:The Psalms are difficult of course, much harder to read than, say Genesis. But I've noticed that some (1 and 8) seem a little easier than others (2-5.) Are there any that strike you as relatively easy? Are there any that use ordinary and common words rather than the rare poetic words that make them so hard?
It’s not only the rare words, but also the many Psalms that use the more common words in a poetic manner.

I’ve reading through Psalms the last few weeks, and often I find misunderstandings based on wrong attributions of words. For example, in Psalm 65:2 we find the word דמיה which is usually taken as a misspelling for דומיה. Its use in the form found in Psalm 65:2 mostly means “her blood”, but in this verse seems to come from דמה a verb meaning to pattern an action, i.e. in this context to set up to praise. It’s things like this that make Psalms, and poetry in general, more difficult that it should be.

If I remember correctly, most of the Psalms after 100 tend to be easier to read.
Mark Lightman wrote:On the other end of the spectrum, which are the ones whose literary value make them a must-read, regardless of difficulty?

Mark Lightman
I’ll let others answer this, as I read them all.

Karl W. Randolph.
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

Welcome, Mark!
Here are some suggestions.

Easy Psalms:

8, 16, 19, 22, 23, 51, 100, 110, 118, 119, 139

Must-Reads

2, 8, 16, 22, 23, 51, 110, 118, 119, 139

Both lists could be expanded, but these are some that quickly come to mind.

Among the must-reads are several that are important for understanding the Christian use of the Psalms in teaching how Jesus is the Messiah. These include 2, 8, 16, 22, 110, and 118, in particular.

As it happens, several of these have fairly easy vocab, as well.

Listening to them in Hebrew also helps; I prefer the reader who recorded the ones on the Mechon Mamre site.

Dewayne Dulaney
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
--(E 84:11) 84:12 תהלים
Mark Lightman

Post by Mark Lightman »

kwrandolph wrote: If I remember correctly, most of the Psalms after 100 tend to be easier to read.
talmid56 wrote:Here are some suggestions.
Easy Psalms:
8, 16, 19, 22, 23, 51, 100, 110, 118, 119, 139
Thanks, Karl and Dwayne. 16, 100 and 101 were in fact much easier. I guess we could add Jonah chapter 2 to the list as well.
kwrandolph wrote:...I read them all.
I hope to as well (I've read them all in Greek.) You are an inspiration for me in stuff like this.
talmid56 wrote: Listening to them in Hebrew also helps; I prefer the reader who recorded the ones on the Mechon Mamre site.
Dewayne Dulaney

Yes, that's the great Abraham Shmuelof. I discovered him early and listen to him often. He is easy to understand, enunciates each word clearly, speaks neither too fast nor slow, and has a pleasant voice.

Thanks again for the replies.

שָׁלוֹם עֲלֵיכֶם‎

Mark Lightman
Mark Lightman