Esau’s Wife “Basemath”

For discussions which focus upon specific words, their origin, meaning, relationship to other ANE languages.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Jim Stinehart

Esau’s Wife “Basemath”

Post by Jim Stinehart »

Esau’s Wife “Basemath”

The name of Esau’s second wife at Genesis 26: 34 is בשמת : B%MT.

Scholars analyze “Basemath” as being a west Semitic name, where (i) the 3-consonant west Semitic root is B%M, meaning “basalm, perfume, sweet-smelling”, and (ii) a tav/T has been added at the end of that root to turn it into a Semite woman’s name.

But is such an analysis possible linguistically?

Excluding Esau’s wives, is there a single name in the entire Bible the fits the following key criteria?

1. The west Semitic root of the name has 3 consonants.

2. Such west Semitic root does not end with he/H or yod/Y or tav/T.

3. A tav/T has simply been attached at the end of this west Semitic root in order to turn it into a Semitic woman’s name.

In the Bible, very few women’s names end with tav/T. And in the rare cases where they do, either (a) the west Semitic root ends with he/H or yod/Y, or else (b) the west Semitic root itself ends with tav/T [rather than such tav/T being an ending that has been added to a west Semitic root to turn it into a woman’s name]. Examples of the foregoing are as follows: (a) At II Samuel 3: 4, XGYT is a wife of David, based on the Hebrew common word XGY. (b) “Ruth” is RWT, where this is viewed as being a shortened version of the underlying west Semitic root R‘WT or R’WT, each of which itself ends with tav/T.

Am I right that it’s linguistically impossible to start with a 3-letter west Semitic root, B%M, which does not itself end with he/H or yod/Y or tav/T, and then simply slap on a tav/T ending to turn this into a west Semitic name for a west Semitic woman?

To me, the tav/T at the end of the name “Basemath” is a dead giveaway that this is a Hurrian name of a Hurrian woman, where T is the standard Hurrian feminine ending for a woman’s name [such as Heba, the name of the chief Hurrian goddess, routinely being written as Hebat].

As I see it, linguistically B%MT cannot be a west Semitic name with the Hebrew root B%M, meaning “basalm, perfume, sweet-smelling”, because in Hebrew one cannot add -T/tav at the end of B%M to produce a west Semitic woman’s name.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois
Isaac Fried

Re: Esau’s Wife “Basemath”

Post by Isaac Fried »

The Hebrew root בשם BSM has nothing to do with BOSEM, 'fragrance'. In Hebrew, we need to carefully distinguish between the root and the word. The root is possibly a variant of the post-biblical פטם PTM, 'fat, full, plump, ample, chubby, solid', of which we have פיטמה 'nipple', and פיטום PIYTUM, 'stuffing, fattening of animals'.
The ending -AT in the name BASMAT is, methinks, the attached personal pronoun את 'you'. The name is apparently a variant of the Arabic names BASSAM and FATIYMAH.

Isaac Fried, Boston University
Jim Stinehart

Post by Jim Stinehart »

Isaac Fried:

You wrote: “The ending -AT in the name BASMAT is, methinks, the attached personal pronoun את 'you'. The name is apparently a variant of the Arabic names BASSAM and FATIYMAH.”

That’s i-m-p-o-s-s-i-b-l-e in Hebrew, isn’t it? The two Arabic examples you give are irrelevant to the question I am raising, because neither Arabic name ends with T.

If one starts with a 3-consonant Hebrew root that does not end with he/H or yod/Y or tav/T, then isn’t it i-m-p-o-s-s-i-b-l-e in Hebrew to make that into a west Semitic woman’s name by simply slapping a tav/T onto the end of such root?

Excluding Esau’s wives, there’s not a single west Semitic woman’s name in the entire Hebrew Bible that has that pattern, is there?

You are starting with BASM or BSM as the three-letter Hebrew root, and then you’re changing that root into a west Semitic woman’s name by adding -AT, spelled tav/T, at the end. But that n-e-v-e-r happens in the entire Hebrew Bible in forming a west Semitic woman’s name, does it, where the Hebrew root ends in a consonant other than he/H or yod/Y or tav/T?

I myself see that final tav/T in “Basemath” as being a classic Hurrian feminine ending. But more importantly on this thread, I am asserting that it’s i-m-p-o-s-s-i-b-l-e that such -T could be a Hebrew ending on a Hebrew 3-consonant root that does not end in he/H or yod/Y or tav/T.

Isaac Fried, you have such a good feel for Hebrew that it seems to me that you should be able to spot at a glance that Esau’s second wife is not a native west Semitic speaker, in that her name simply will not work in west Semitic linguistically. To the best of my knowledge, there’s not a single Hebrew woman’s name in the entire Bible that has a pattern like “Basemath”.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

The only other personal names I can find ending in -AT (or -IYT) are:
EPRAT אפרת of Ch.1 2:19
GIYNAT גינת of Ki.1 16:21
GNUBAT גנבת Ki.1 11:20
RIYPAR ריפת Gen. 10:3
XAGIYT חגית Sam.1 3:4
XAMAT חמת Ch.1 2:55
TAPAT טפת Ki.1 4:11
YHO$ABAT יהושבעת Ch.2 22:11
YAXAT יחת Ch.1 4:2
MAXLAT מחלת Ch.2 11:18
MAXAT מחת Ch.2 6:20
MANAXAT מנחת Gen. 36:23
NAXAT נחת Gen. 36:13
SABTAH סבתה Gen. 10:7

Jim Stinehart

Post by Jim Stinehart »

Isaac Fried:

Thank you so much for coming up with that list of 13 Biblical names that end with tav/T. But per my comments below to these 13 names, note that not a single one of those names is a west Semitic name of a woman that consists of three consonants, not ending in aleph or ayin or he or tav, to which a T ending has been added. That is to say, there is no west Semitic name formed like “Basemath” in the Bible.

1. EPRAT אפרת of Ch.1 2:19. Hurrian woman’s name. Husband is Hurrian, and their son is called “Hurrian”: XWR. The man’s version of this Hurrian name, spelled differently in that ayin/‘ is there used for the initial Hurrian true vowel E instead of aleph/’, is ‘PR-WN at Genesis 23: 8. [In fact, “Ephrath” is just like “Basemath”: start with a 3-letter Hurrian root, and then add T as the classic Hurrian feminine ending. Same.]

2. GIYNAT גינת of Ki.1 16:21. Man’s name. Unknown root. There is no Hebrew root GYN to which T could be added.

3. GNUBAT גנבת Ki.1 11:20. Man’s name. Moreover, this is not a west Semitic name, as neither his father nor his mother has a west Semitic name. His mother is Egyptian, and his father is probably Hurrian, coming from the former Hurrian state of MDYN/Mitanni. Father’s name is XDD, where XD or XT means “to praise [Teshup]” in Hurrian.

4. RIYPAT ריפת Gen. 10:3. Man’s name. Not thought to be west Semitic.

5. XAGIYT חגית Sam.1 3:4. As noted in my post, root ends with yod/Y.

6. XAMAT חמת Ch.1 2:55. Man’s name, and only has 3 letters.

7. TAPAT טפת Ki.1 4:11. This woman’s name has only 3 letters, and the root ends with H.

8. YHO$ABAT יהושבעת Ch.2 22:11. II Kings 11: 2 has this woman’s name without the final T, ending in ayin/‘. This name has 7 letters, not 4 letters like “Basemath”.

9. YAXAT יחת Ch.1 4:2. Man’s name, and only has 3 letters. Unclear if root ends with T.

10. MAXLAT מחלת Ch.2 11:18. Root of this woman’s name is MXLT, ending with T, which in turn derives from MLH, ending in H.

11. MAXAT מחת Ch.1 6:20. Man’s name; only has 3 letters; and root ends with H.

12. MANAXAT מנחת Gen. 36:23. It’s a man’s name, and if west Semitic, the MNT root ends with T.

13. NAXAT נחת Gen. 36:13. Man’s name, and only has 3 letters; if west Semitic, the NXT root ends with T.

14. SABTAH סבתה Gen. 10:7. Man’s name, and does not end with T.

Thanks again for coming up with this nifty list. Much appreciated.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

The interest in the name יהושבעת = יהו-שבע-את YHO-$AB-AT, is that it consists of an obvious theophoric combination with an attached personal pronoun את AT, 'you', at the end.

Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

EPRAT אפרת was possibly dark skinned, the color of אפר EPER, 'ash, soot'. See Nu. 19:9. So were, possibly, אפרים Ephraim (who was possibly even doubly so) the son of Joseph (Gen. 41:52), and עפרון Ephron of Gen. 23:10, who was possibly the color of עפר APAR, 'earth'.

Jim Stinehart

Post by Jim Stinehart »

Isaac Fried:
You wrote: “EPRAT אפרת was possibly dark skinned, the color of אפר EPER, 'ash, soot'. See Nu. 19:9. So were, possibly, אפרים Ephraim (who was possibly even doubly so) the son of Joseph (Gen. 41:52), and עפרון Ephron of Gen. 23:10, who was possibly the color of עפר APAR, 'earth'.”

At Genesis 23: 10, Ephron is said both to be a XTY, and to be one of the sons of XT. XT is xu-ti in Hurrian, meaning “praise”, and implies “Praise [Teshup]” So Ephron is one of the “Praise Teshup” people, that is, a Hurrian.

Accordingly, Ephron’s name will be a Hurran name, not a west Semitic name. The Hurrian name that means “the [Hurrian] lord” [or, less literally, “Hurrian nobleman”] is spelled as follows in Hurrian: E-pr-ri-in-ne. In Hebrew orthography, the same consonant cannot appear twice in a row when not separated by a vowel, so the first N drops out. Unique to Hurrian, since the I in the preceding -ri- syllable is the same as the I in the next syllable, Hurrian uses an anaptyxe vowel to show that, which in Hebrew orthography for Hurrian names is vav/W. Using AV as “anaptyxe vowel”, this Hurrian name is treated as follows for Hebrew writing: E-pr-ri-AV-ne. That’s letter-for-letter for how “Ephron” is spelled, using defective spelling of course, in which a vowel is rendered by a Hebrew letter only if it’s a separate syllable: ‘-P-R-W-N.

I noted above that “Ephrat” is simply the woman’s version of the name “Ephron”. The Hurrian true vowel E as its own separate syllable in initial position can be rendered by either Hebrew ayin/‘ or Hebrew aleph/’. Instead of the suffix being “the”/AV-ne in “Ephron”, here we have the classic Hurrian feminine ending, which is T, rendered in Hebrew by tav: ’-P-R-T. Ephrat’s parents are Hurrians with Hurrian names. “Caleb” doesn’t mean [in west Semitic] “Dog”! No way! No, it’s Kelip, which is the beginning of many attested Hurrian names.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

Appears to me that the ending -ON in the name עפר-ון EPR-ON is a contracted הינו HINO, 'he is', as in Job 2:6.