LXX Ending of Job and the Syriac Bible

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Mahlon Smith

LXX Ending of Job and the Syriac Bible

Post by Mahlon Smith »

I was reading the LXX of Job 42 and found this curious heading in 42:17b Οὗτος ἑρμηνεύεται ἐκ τῆς Συριακῆς βίβλου = "This is what is translated from the Syriac Bible". There is additional material giving an alleged Edomite lineage for Job in the LXX. My question is: 1). Is the Syriac Bible here the Peshitta? 2). Did the LXX derive this from the Peshitta or vice-versa 3). Are there any other versional witnesses containing this Edomite genealogy as found in the LXX?
Mark Lightman

Re: LXX Ending of Job and the Syriac Bible

Post by Mark Lightman »

Mahlon Smith wrote:I was reading the LXX of Job 42 and found this curious heading in 42:17b Οὗτος ἑρμηνεύεται ἐκ τῆς Συριακῆς βίβλου = "This is what is translated from the Syriac Bible".
Just as a minor point of order, Mahlon. Your translation is not exactly accurate.
LXX Job 42 17b: Οὗτος ἑρμηνεύεται ἐκ τῆς Συριακῆς βίβλου, ἐν μὲν γῇ κατοικῶν τῇ Αυσίτιδι ἐπὶ τοῖς ὁρίοις τῆς Ιδουμαίας καὶ ᾿Αραβίας,
Would mean something closer to "This man (Job) is discussed in the Syrian book as having lived in the land of Ausis, on the borders of Idumea and Arabia." I don't know enough to know what book is meant.
Mark Lightman