Proverbs 23:7

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
kwrandolph

Re: Proverbs 23:7

Post by kwrandolph »

SteveMiller wrote:Ste and Karl,
About the Hebrew text being corrupt: When we compare the MT to the DSS, I understand that there is a word for word correspondence, the only difference being letters within words, which can make for a different word. So the errors that you see in the MT are letter errors. If the LXX were the correct text here, then the MT text would be more in error than just in letters. We don't see that big of an error that I know of when MT is compared to DSS. LXX does have gross errors. So I give more credence to the MT here.
Actually, there are cases where the MT and the DSS vary by more than just spellings. That sometimes complete words or more are different. Sometimes those differences support the LXX. On the whole, the DSS support the MT more than the LXX.
SteveMiller wrote:The LXX takes ה֥וּא as the subject of "eat and drink".
That is a gross error in the LXX.
SteveMiller wrote: That is fine. But the 2 of you are taking hoo and making it the subject of "say", skipping over "eat and drink". How can you do that?
Because this is the word order patterns of both poetry and prose.

In Biblical Hebrew sentences in prose, the word order is predicated on the importance of what is said. Often the most important thing is the action, hence the verb comes first. In conversation, the subject is often emphasized, so it comes first.

In poetry, word order can be predicated on poetic license, how it fits the pattern of the poetry.

This particular verse is poetry.
SteveMiller wrote: Why should the hoo even be there? In your translations it shouldn't be there. The "he" subject is included in the verb "say". There is no reason to make the "he" emphatic, nor to separate it from its verb by 2 other verbs.
The ה֥וּא is there not as an emphatic. I haven’t made a study of its use, but often I find it used merely to indicate the subject of the verb. The verbal conjugation makes it redundant, but Hebrew sentences often contain it anyways. This is most common in conversation. In reference to the above concerning word order, this use is to say that the subject, not the action, is most important in the sentence.
SteveMiller wrote: The only reason for hoo is to say, "so he is", ending the first part of the verse.
I don’t see that. Look at the above.
SteveMiller wrote:Karl,
Poetry says a lot in a few words. It says something deep by means of a picture. What would gate be saying? That he is closed to you? I don't see gate as meaning closed. But you right that gate refers to more than just the opening. And I don't see the idea of being closed as a deep idea that would justify such a hard to understand picture.
Also the idea is not that he is closed to you, but that he is being disingenuous to you, and from the previous verse, has an evil eye. Don't believe him. A gate is not disingenuous nor does it have an evil eye.
A city gate is designed to keep unwanted people out of the city. Evil people don’t want to make friends with good people. So an evil person has, as it were, a gate in his life to keep good people out. So even if an evil person may say ”eat and drink”, his heart is not with you.
SteveMiller wrote:How about:
For as rotten in his soul, so he is. Eat and drink he says to you, but his heart is not with you.
rotten comes from Jer 29:17 and has to do with not being edible.
These figs are moldy, “hairy”. They may be rotten as well, but the specific reference is to mold.
SteveMiller wrote:If you eat it, you'll vomit.
Jer 5:30; 23:14; 18:13; Hos 6:10 may be related.
Where do you get “vomit”?

Karl W. Randolph.
Last edited by kwrandolph on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

S_Walch wrote: The Biblical Qumran Scrolls, Vol. 1-3 published by Brill are what you'd be looking for. That too highlights the same differences as seen in TDSSB.
Available at https://archive.org/stream/TheBiblicalQ ... les-Ulrich
Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.
St. Francis Xavier University
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Ken M. Penner wrote:
S_Walch wrote: The Biblical Qumran Scrolls, Vol. 1-3 published by Brill are what you'd be looking for.…
Available at https://archive.org/stream/TheBiblicalQ ... les-Ulrich
This is a bookmark.

Too bad I can’t use this off line.

This shows up the fragmentary nature of the Biblical evidence from the DSS, not much at all. Most of the Bible is missing. That leaves the consonantal MT as the best evidence today, using this as supplemental materials.

Karl W. Randolph.
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

S_Walch wrote:
kwrandolph wrote:My understanding is there’s evidence that already in the first century there was an attempt at textual criticism, at which time inferior versions of books were set aside for better ones. Could some the copies that survived among the DSS be some of the inferior versions that were discarded already in the first century?
Guess that depends on how we determine what are to be considered "inferior versions", and exactly how they could determine such a thing in the first Century CE.
Years ago I read a study online that compared Biblical texts with the MT according to their age. The conclusion mentioned in the article is that the newer MSS were more like the MT, and one of the major differences is that they dropped many of the “materes lectionis” found in DSS Hebrew. That would suggest a source other than DSS Hebrew, possibly “official” copies held in the Temple. Some of those “official” copies could even have been original autographs, but temple evidence was all burned by the Romans. Another sign for an attempt at textual criticism is that the texts became more uniform as well.

As for the LXX, how good were the MSS that they had? It could very well be that at least some of their’s were among the inferior copies.

However, evidence of textual criticism in the first century doesn’t preclude copyist errors from then to Aleppo and Leningradensis.

But this verse has only the MT and LXX evidences, of which the MT appears far superior. Now it’s just the question, what does it mean?

Karl W. Randolph.
S_Walch

Post by S_Walch »

kwrandolph wrote:Years ago I read a study online that compared Biblical texts with the MT according to their age. The conclusion mentioned in the article is that the newer MSS were more like the MT, and one of the major differences is that they dropped many of the “materes lectionis” found in DSS Hebrew.
You're perhaps referring to the post 1st Century CE manuscripts found at Wadi Murabba'at (such as the Minor Prophets Scroll MurXII) which very rarely depart from the received MT.
That would suggest a source other than DSS Hebrew, possibly “official” copies held in the Temple.
I do believe it was proposed that some of the DSS may've been texts from the Temple itself, moved to Qumran before the Temple's destruction. That's a theory though, obviously.
As for the LXX, how good were the MSS that they had? It could very well be that at least some of their’s were among the inferior copies.
Quite probably. But I do believe that it's nigh on impossible to determine the quality of the MSS that the LXX translators used. If the LXX was a superb no-mistake-made translation, we may've had a bit more help in that regard. :)

Better yet, if people stopped destroying things...
Now it’s just the question, what does it mean?
I'm coming round to your proposition that שער probably means "gate". However I've not yet seen anyone give a reason to not think that "storm" is a viable translation of שער in this verse.

Thoughts?
Ste Walch
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

kwrandolph wrote:
This is a bookmark.

Too bad I can’t use this off line.
For offline use, try the PDF link at https://archive.org/details/TheBiblicalQumranScrolls
Direct: https://archive.org/download/TheBiblica ... Ulrich.pdf
Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.
St. Francis Xavier University
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

כי כמו שער בנפשו כן הוא אכול ושתה יאמר לך ולבו בל עמך

KJV: For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.

Luther Bible: Denn wie ein Gespenst ist er inwendig; er spricht: Iß und trink! und sein Herz ist doch nicht mit dir.

NIV: for he is the kind of person who is always thinking about the cost. “Eat and drink,” he says to you, but his heart is not with you.

Google translate: As he realize that, yes he, Eat and drink will tell you, without heart you

None of the translations has "gate", "hair", or "storm". The Luther Bible apparently reads שעיר S'IYR, which he renders "Gespenst", 'ghost, spirit'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

S_Walch wrote:
kwrandolph wrote:Years ago I read a study online that compared Biblical texts with the MT according to their age. The conclusion mentioned in the article is that the newer MSS were more like the MT, and one of the major differences is that they dropped many of the “materes lectionis” found in DSS Hebrew.
You're perhaps referring to the post 1st Century CE manuscripts found at Wadi Murabba'at (such as the Minor Prophets Scroll MurXII) which very rarely depart from the received MT.
No, the author was comparing the MSS from the caves around Qumran. He claimed from epigraphic evidence that one could tell that the MSS in the caves were sorted by age. As if when one cave was filled, then another was started.
S_Walch wrote:
That would suggest a source other than DSS Hebrew, possibly “official” copies held in the Temple.
I do believe it was proposed that some of the DSS may've been texts from the Temple itself, moved to Qumran before the Temple's destruction. That's a theory though, obviously.
I’ve heard that theory too. But that’s not what the author meant.
S_Walch wrote:
Now it’s just the question, what does it mean?
I'm coming round to your proposition that שער probably means "gate". However I've not yet seen anyone give a reason to not think that "storm" is a viable translation of שער in this verse.

Thoughts?
For me, the main reason is the context, the idea of shutting one out of his life.

Karl W. Randolph.
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Thanks, Ken.

As quickly as said as done.

It’s a lot quicker off line, even on an old little netbook.

Karl W. Randolph.
SteveMiller

Post by SteveMiller »

S_Walch wrote:
SteveMiller wrote:About the Hebrew text being corrupt: When we compare the MT to the DSS, I understand that there is a word for word correspondence, the only difference being letters within words, which can make for a different word. So the errors that you see in the MT are letter errors. If the LXX were the correct text here, then the MT text would be more in error than just in letters. We don't see that big of an error that I know of when MT is compared to DSS. LXX does have gross errors. So I give more credence to the MT here.
Wherever you got this understanding from, it wasn't from someone who's compared the DSS and the MT. It isn't just a difference of plene and defective spelling. We're talking completely different words; added words; added sections; omitted sections; different book sizes (Jeremiah and Ezekiel); plus a whole host of other things.

If you don't have it already, I'd purchase a copy of The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible. There's more than enough evidence in that book to show that there isn't a word for word correspondence between the MT and the DSS. It will also point out the places where the DSS and the LXX agree against the MT as well.

The LXX shouldn't be dismissed so easily :)
Thanks Ste. I didn't know that there were those kind of differences. I got that understanding from Grant Jeffrey.
http://www.grantjeffrey.com/article/article1.htm
I myself have compared a lot of Psalms, some Isa, and some NT quotations of OT between MT, DSS & LXX, and I have never myself seen anything other than letter differences between MT and DSS. I have the The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible as well as the Logos DSS module, which saves me a lot of work.
Can you give me an example of the kind of differences you speak of? Do you know of any such differences in Isaiah or Habakkuk, since those are the most complete in DSS?
Thanks.
Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit
http://www.voiceInWilderness.info
Honesty is the best policy. - George Washington (1732-99)