The XABURAH חבורה of Gen. 4:23 and Isiah 53:5

For discussions which focus upon specific words, their origin, meaning, relationship to other ANE languages.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Isaac Fried

The XABURAH חבורה of Gen. 4:23 and Isiah 53:5

Post by Isaac Fried »

While reading today in Gen. 4:23
איש הרגתי לפצעי וילד לחברתי
KJV: "I have slain a man to my wounding, and a young man to my hurt"

I conjured, by the magic of the Hebrew root and the subtle inter-connectivity of its progeny, that while פצע (related to בצע and פצה) is an open wound, חבורה XABURAH is a swell of the flesh.
It is of the root חבר 'connect, join, unite, put together', of which we have the XABER, 'friend, partner, associate', of Mal. 2:14; the XEBER, 'group, band', of Hos. 6:9; the מחברת MA-XBER-ET, 'coupling, connector' (in spoken Hebrew, 'notebook'); and also the חברבורה XABARBURAH, 'patch, blot', of Jer. 13:23.
Also the latter XABURAH (with a soft B), 'company'; תחביר TA-XBIYR, 'syntax'; and TA-XBUR-AH, 'transportation'.

The root חבר is a variant of
גבר הבר חבר כבר קבר
גפר חפר כפר
GBR, HBR, XBR, KBR, QBR
GPR, XPR, KPR
of which we have: GABAR, 'prevail, overwhelm', as in Gen. 7:18; כביר KABIYR, 'huge, vast, immense, mighty', as in Job 36:5; QABAR, 'buried, covered with earth'; the כפיר (actually a mighty כביר), 'lion', of Judges 14:15; and the כפור KPOR, 'hoarfrost', of Ex. 16:14, covering and concealing the earth underneath - burying the earth under it, like a כפורת KAPORET.

Isaac Fried, Boston University