The promise of constancy, or stability, of Gen. 8:22

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Isaac Fried

The promise of constancy, or stability, of Gen. 8:22

Post by Isaac Fried »

We have read today:
עד כל ימי הארץ זרע וקציר וקר וחם וקיץ וחרף ויום ולילה לא ישבתו
KJV: "While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease"
which includes, inter alia, this remarkably comforting assertion that the gravitational force, created on day three, is exactly calibrated by the divine wisdom so as to keep the earth moving in a stable closed curve, thus preventing it, even under the action of an external nudge, from a catastrophic spiraling toward the sun or away from it.

Isaac Fried, Boston University
S_Walch

Re: The promise of constancy, or stability, of Gen. 8:22

Post by S_Walch »

Is there a question here that's being asked, or are we just reading a statement that you'd like to make, I. Fried?

I'm not exactly seeing what you'd like to be discussing here, in the General Discussion sub-forum.
Ste Walch
Isaac Fried

Re: The promise of constancy, or stability, of Gen. 8:22

Post by Isaac Fried »

This remarkable promise appears to me to also include the soothing assertion that the angular momentum imparted to the earth upon its launching, will last עד כל ימי הארץ ,that is to say, forever.

Isaac Fried, Boston University