Job 17:1 זעך

For discussions which focus upon specific words, their origin, meaning, relationship to other ANE languages.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
kwrandolph

Job 17:1 זעך

Post by kwrandolph »

Dear all:

This is a happax legomenon, and the definition given in dictionaries that I’ve found so far makes no sense in the context.

Any clues from cognate languages?

It appears to be a niphal verb connected to the plural noun as subject that follows it.

Karl W. Randolph.
Isaac Fried

Re: Job 17:1 זעך

Post by Isaac Fried »

זעך is a variant of דעך 'die out, wane, extinguish', said for fire, as in Isaiah 43:17. It is related also to the דך DAK, 'lowly' of Ps. 9:10. Also to דק DAQ, 'thin', as in Ex. 32:20, and to the זך ZAK of Ex. 30:34.

Isaac Fried, Boston University
S_Walch

Post by S_Walch »

From HALOT:

זעך
By-form of דעך, :: Tur-S. Job 272: to be cut off (Vulg.; Arb. ziʿkat interruption of the journey).
nif: pf. נִזְעָֽכוּ (MSS נִדְעָֽכוּ): to be extinguished Jb 171 (:: cj. נֶעֶזְבוּ, to be left over).
Ste Walch
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

S_Walch wrote:From HALOT:

זעך
By-form of דעך, :: Tur-S. Job 272: to be cut off (Vulg.; Arb. ziʿkat interruption of the journey).
nif: pf. נִזְעָֽכוּ (MSS נִדְעָֽכוּ): to be extinguished Jb 171 (:: cj. נֶעֶזְבוּ, to be left over).
The next chapter has דעך a few times, so to claim that this is the same makes the claim that this is a copyist error. Is it?

Assuming that this is a copyist error, “‎דעך to sputter out, die down of flame” doesn’t seem to fit those who are burying for me (a noun). The complete phrase is, נזעכו קברים לי with קברים as the subject of the verb.

The LXX has δεομαι δε ταφης και ου τυγχανω which suggests that a burial detail has been summoned.

So it looks as if we have a word that we don’t know, and no way to find out its meaning.

Karl W. Randolph.
S_Walch

Post by S_Walch »

Well the LXX would be translated as "and I implore for a burial, and I do not find it", indicating that the LXX translator was going bonkers trying to make head or tail of the Hebrew, or had a different Hebrew Vorlage.

The LXX appears to not have ימי, nor does it have לי, and then adds אם לא at the end, including מצא.

So yeah, I would definitely say that we have a word we don't know, and quite possibly are looking at a copyist error and/or very corrupted text.
Ste Walch
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

S_Walch wrote:Well the LXX would be translated as "and I implore for a burial, and I do not find it", indicating that the LXX translator was going bonkers trying to make head or tail of the Hebrew, or had a different Hebrew Vorlage.

The LXX appears to not have ימי, nor does it have לי, and then adds אם לא at the end, including מצא.

So yeah, I would definitely say that we have a word we don't know, and quite possibly are looking at a copyist error and/or very corrupted text.
Or one other option—the translators of the LXX were just as puzzled as we are.

I have seen other examples of where the LXX translators were clueless, so for them to have been lost here as well is a possibility.

Karl W. Randolph.
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

Other variants of דעך - זעך are שח $AX, 'lower, decline', as in Isaiah 2:11, שכך $AKAK, 'subside', as in Esther 7:10, and שכח $AKAX, forget, ignore'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University
Mark Lightman

Post by Mark Lightman »

Isaac Fried wrote:Other variants of דעך - זעך are... שכח...
A מצב צבירה opposite to which (see ASEHL p. 19) is, methinks,זכר.
Mark Lightman