Hebrew verb theories

Classical Hebrew morphology and syntax, aspect, linguistics, discourse analysis, and related topics
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Isaac Fried

Re: Hebrew verb theories

Post by Isaac Fried »

I venture to argue that the נפעל form (or yqtl) existed also in old English, for example, the ycleped, 'was called', נקרא = אני-קרא in
"That whilom was ycleped Scithia"
from Chaucer's The Knight's Tale, line 9.
The prefixed y-, as the learned men are saying, is the still extant German ge-, (English has the tendency to slight g into y) from the Latin ego, of which also the German ich, the English I, the French je (also se), and the Russian ya.
The English ending -ly (like), related to the German German Leiche 'corpse' (related in turn to the English lie, German liegen) may also be related to 'look' and this ich.

Isaac Fried, Boston University
davidedmorn

Post by davidedmorn »

The Hebrew verb has two states, the perfect state and the imperfect state. The perfect state indicates completed action. The imperfect state indicates incomplete or continuous action, or action in progress
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Dear David:
davidedmorn wrote:The Hebrew verb has two states, the perfect state and the imperfect state. The perfect state indicates completed action. The imperfect state indicates incomplete or continuous action, or action in progress
In linguistics, this is called “aspect”, and it is a type of time measurement.

“Tense” is the other time measurement, and is connected to … well, you know.

The reason this question came up is because when reading through Tanakh, it becomes clear that the verbal conjugations code for neither time measurement. Rather they code for modality, but some of the moods that the ancient Hebrews recognized are found in none of present Indo-European languages. As a result, I don’t use the terms “perfect” and “imperfect” for “Qatal” and “Yiqtol”. I recommend that you abandon those terms as well.

Karl W. Randolph.
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Final update in this series of updates:

I just finished reading through Chronicles, and just as I suspected, other than the increased use of materes lectionis, that there’d be more archaisms in Hebrew use than in Nehemiah, because the author(a) referenced older materials when writing Chronicles, therefore would tend to copy the verbal style as well as the subject material.

This brings up another point—I delayed sending out the latest update to my dictionary until I finished reading through Chronicles. I should send it out to those who asked for it within the next few days. It will include a new appendix, namely a quick and dirty Aramaic portion, with its glosses taken from the glosses found in Lisowsky’s concordance.

Karl W. Randolph.
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

davidedmorn says
The Hebrew verb has two states
Says I
The Hebrew root has no "states". The Hebrew verb is a root augmented by personal pronouns for the participating actors.

Mark Lightman

Post by Mark Lightman »

SteveMiller wrote:Can anyone give me 5 examples where qatal is not past tense and where yiqtol is not future or present?
וּמָרְדֳּכַי--לֹא יִכְרַע, וְלֹא יִשְׁתַּחֲוֶה. Esther 3:2
Mark Lightman
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

This is a good one. the verbal form יִכְרַע = היא-כרע is used to stress the unique היא of מרדכי. KJV Esther 3:2: "But Mordecai bowed not, nor did him reverence."

The name מרדכי consists, methinks, of מר-עד-חי, 'the everlasting MAR', מר being 'the exalted, the master', as used today.

Mark Lightman

Post by Mark Lightman »

Mark Lightman wrote:
SteveMiller wrote:Can anyone give me 5 examples where qatal is not past tense and where yiqtol is not future or present?
וּמָרְדֳּכַי--לֹא יִכְרַע, וְלֹא יִשְׁתַּחֲוֶה. Esther 3:2
Here is a third, Steve.
וַיֹּ֙אמֶר֙ לַגֹּאֵ֔ל חֶלְקַת֙ הַשָּׂדֶ֔ה אֲשֶׁ֥ר לְאָחִ֖ינוּ לֶאֱלִימֶ֑לֶךְ מָכְרָ֣ה נָעֳמִ֔י הַשָּׁ֖בָה מִשְּׂדֵ֥ה מֹואָֽב׃ Ruth 4:3
Mark Lightman
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

SteveMiller wrote:Can anyone give me 5 examples where qatal is not past tense and where yiqtol is not future or present? Of course, exclude vav conversive. Also do not include prophesies, which are often given in the prophetic past. Thanks.
I'm writing an article on the conjugations in the beginning of 1 Samuel. Here are some data to consider from 1 Samuel 2.
1 Sa 2:1-5 wrote:[right]וַתִּתְפַּלֵּל חַנָּה וַתֹּאמַר עָלַץ לִבִּי בַּיהוה רָמָה קַרְנִי בַּיהוה רָחַב פִּי עַל־אוֹיְבַי כִּי שָׂמַחְתִּי בִּישׁוּעָתֶךָ׃
אֵין־קָדוֹשׁ כַּיהוה כִּי אֵין בִּלְתֶּךָ וְאֵין צוּר כֵּאלֹהֵינוּ׃
אַל־תַּרְבּוּ תְדַבְּרוּ גְּבֹהָה גְבֹהָה יֵצֵא עָתָק מִפִּיכֶם כִּי אֵל דֵּעוֹת יהוה וְלֹא נִתְכְּנוּ ק̇ עֲלִלוֹת׃
קֶשֶׁת גִּבֹּרִים חַתִּים וְנִכְשָׁלִים אָזְרוּ חָיִל׃
שְׂבֵעִים בַּלֶּחֶם נִשְׂכָּרוּ וּרְעֵבִים חָדֵלּוּ עַד־עֲקָרָה יָלְדָה שִׁבְעָה וְרַבַּת בָּנִים אֻמְלָלָה׃[/right]
1 Sa 2:14–29 wrote:[right]וְהִכָּה בַכִּיּוֹר אוֹ בַדּוּד אוֹ בַקַּלַּחַת אוֹ בַפָּרוּר כֹּל אֲשֶׁר יַעֲלֶה הַמַּזְלֵג יִקַּח הַכֹּהֵן בּוֹ כָּכָה יַעֲשׂוּ לְכָל־יִשְׂרָאֵל הַבָּאִים שָׁם בְּשִׁלֹה׃
גַּם בְּטֶרֶם יַקְטִרוּן אֶת־הַחֵלֶב וּבָא נַעַר הַכֹּהֵן וְאָמַר לָאִישׁ הַזֹּבֵחַ תְּנָה בָשָׂר לִצְלוֹת לַכֹּהֵן וְלֹא־יִקַּח מִמְּךָ בָּשָׂר מְבֻשָּׁל כִּי אִם־חָי׃
וַיֹּאמֶר אֵלָיו הָאִישׁ קַטֵּר יַקְטִירוּן כַּיּוֹם הַחֵלֶב וְקַח־לְךָ כַּאֲשֶׁר תְּאַוֶּה נַפְשֶׁךָ וְאָמַר לוֹ ק̇ כִּי עַתָּה תִתֵּן וְאִם־לֹא לָקַחְתִּי בְחָזְקָה׃
וַתְּהִי חַטַּאת הַנְּעָרִים גְּדוֹלָה מְאֹד אֶת־פְּנֵי יהוה כִּי נִאֲצוּ הָאֲנָשִׁים אֵת מִנְחַת יהוה׃
וּשְׁמוּאֵל מְשָׁרֵת אֶת־פְּנֵי יהוה נַעַר חָגוּר אֵפוֹד בָּד׃
וּמְעִיל קָטֹן תַּעֲשֶׂה־לּוֹ אִמּוֹ וְהַעַלְתָה לוֹ מִיָּמִים יָמִימָה בַּעֲלוֹתָהּ אֶת־אִישָׁהּ לִזְבֹּחַ אֶת־זֶבַח הַיָּמִים׃
וּבֵרַךְ עֵלִי אֶת־אֶלְקָנָה וְאֶת־אִשְׁתּוֹ וְאָמַר יָשֵׂם יהוה לְךָ זֶרַע מִן־הָאִשָּׁה הַזֹּאת תַּחַת הַשְּׁאֵלָה אֲשֶׁר שָׁאַל לַיהוה וְהָלְכוּ לִמְקֹמוֹ׃
כִּי־פָקַד יהוה אֶת־חַנָּה וַתַּהַר וַתֵּלֶד שְׁלֹשָׁה־בָנִים וּשְׁתֵּי בָנוֹת וַיִּגְדַּל הַנַּעַר שְׁמוּאֵל עִם־יהוה׃
וְעֵלִי זָקֵן מְאֹד וְשָׁמַע אֵת כָּל־אֲשֶׁר יַעֲשׂוּן בָּנָיו לְכָל־יִשְׂרָאֵל וְאֵת אֲשֶׁר־יִשְׁכְּבוּן אֶת־הַנָּשִׁים הַצֹּבְאוֹת פֶּתַח אֹהֶל מוֹעֵד׃
וַיֹּאמֶר לָהֶם לָמָּה תַעֲשׂוּן כַּדְּבָרִים הָאֵלֶּה אֲשֶׁר אָנֹכִי שֹׁמֵעַ אֶת־דִּבְרֵיכֶם רָעִים מֵאֵת כָּל־הָעָם אֵלֶּה׃
אַל בָּנָי כִּי לוֹא־טוֹבָה הַשְּׁמֻעָה אֲשֶׁר אָנֹכִי שֹׁמֵעַ מַעֲבִרִים עַם־יהוה׃
אִם־יֶחֱטָא אִישׁ לְאִישׁ וּפִלְלוֹ אֱלֹהִים וְאִם לַיהוה יֶחֱטָא־אִישׁ מִי יִתְפַּלֶּל־לוֹ וְלֹא יִשְׁמְעוּ לְקוֹל אֲבִיהֶם כִּי־חָפֵץ יהוה לַהֲמִיתָם׃
וְהַנַּעַר שְׁמוּאֵל הֹלֵךְ וְגָדֵל וָטוֹב גַּם עִם־יהוה וְגַם עִם־אֲנָשִׁים׃
וַיָּבֹא אִישׁ־אֱלֹהִים אֶל־עֵלִי וַיֹּאמֶר אֵלָיו כֹּה אָמַר יהוה הֲנִגְלֹה נִגְלֵיתִי אֶל־בֵּית אָבִיךָ בִּהְיוֹתָם בְּמִצְרַיִם לְבֵית פַּרְעֹה׃
וּבָחֹר אֹתוֹ מִכָּל־שִׁבְטֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל לִי לְכֹהֵן לַעֲלוֹת עַל־מִזְבְּחִי לְהַקְטִיר קְטֹרֶת לָשֵׂאת אֵפוֹד לְפָנָי וָאֶתְּנָה לְבֵית אָבִיךָ אֶת־כָּל־אִשֵּׁי בְּנֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל׃
לָמָּה תִבְעֲטוּ בְּזִבְחִי וּבְמִנְחָתִי אֲשֶׁר צִוִּיתִי מָעוֹן וַתְּכַבֵּד אֶת־בָּנֶיךָ מִמֶּנִּי לְהַבְרִיאֲכֶם מֵרֵאשִׁית כָּל־מִנְחַת יִשְׂרָאֵל לְעַמִּי׃[/right]

Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.
St. Francis Xavier University
Mark Lightman

Post by Mark Lightman »

Ken M. Penner wrote:
SteveMiller wrote:Can anyone give me 5 examples where qatal is not past tense and where yiqtol is not future or present? Of course, exclude vav conversive. Also do not include prophesies, which are often given in the prophetic past. Thanks.
I'm writing an article on the conjugations in the beginning of 1 Samuel. Here are some data to consider from 1 Samuel 2.
1 Sa 2:1-5 wrote:[right]וַתִּתְפַּלֵּל חַנָּה וַתֹּאמַר עָלַץ לִבִּי בַּיהוה רָמָה קַרְנִי בַּיהוה רָחַב פִּי עַל־אוֹיְבַי כִּי שָׂמַחְתִּי בִּישׁוּעָתֶךָ׃
אֵין־קָדוֹשׁ כַּיהוה כִּי אֵין בִּלְתֶּךָ וְאֵין צוּר כֵּאלֹהֵינוּ׃
אַל־תַּרְבּוּ תְדַבְּרוּ גְּבֹהָה גְבֹהָה יֵצֵא עָתָק מִפִּיכֶם כִּי אֵל דֵּעוֹת יהוה וְלֹא נִתְכְּנוּ ק̇ עֲלִלוֹת׃
קֶשֶׁת גִּבֹּרִים חַתִּים וְנִכְשָׁלִים אָזְרוּ חָיִל׃
שְׂבֵעִים בַּלֶּחֶם נִשְׂכָּרוּ וּרְעֵבִים חָדֵלּוּ עַד־עֲקָרָה יָלְדָה שִׁבְעָה וְרַבַּת בָּנִים אֻמְלָלָה׃[/right]
1 Sa 2:14–29 wrote:[right]וְהִכָּה בַכִּיּוֹר אוֹ בַדּוּד אוֹ בַקַּלַּחַת אוֹ בַפָּרוּר כֹּל אֲשֶׁר יַעֲלֶה הַמַּזְלֵג יִקַּח הַכֹּהֵן בּוֹ כָּכָה יַעֲשׂוּ לְכָל־יִשְׂרָאֵל הַבָּאִים שָׁם בְּשִׁלֹה׃
גַּם בְּטֶרֶם יַקְטִרוּן אֶת־הַחֵלֶב וּבָא נַעַר הַכֹּהֵן וְאָמַר לָאִישׁ הַזֹּבֵחַ תְּנָה בָשָׂר לִצְלוֹת לַכֹּהֵן וְלֹא־יִקַּח מִמְּךָ בָּשָׂר מְבֻשָּׁל כִּי אִם־חָי׃
וַיֹּאמֶר אֵלָיו הָאִישׁ קַטֵּר יַקְטִירוּן כַּיּוֹם הַחֵלֶב וְקַח־לְךָ כַּאֲשֶׁר תְּאַוֶּה נַפְשֶׁךָ וְאָמַר לוֹ ק̇ כִּי עַתָּה תִתֵּן וְאִם־לֹא לָקַחְתִּי בְחָזְקָה׃
וַתְּהִי חַטַּאת הַנְּעָרִים גְּדוֹלָה מְאֹד אֶת־פְּנֵי יהוה כִּי נִאֲצוּ הָאֲנָשִׁים אֵת מִנְחַת יהוה׃
וּשְׁמוּאֵל מְשָׁרֵת אֶת־פְּנֵי יהוה נַעַר חָגוּר אֵפוֹד בָּד׃
וּמְעִיל קָטֹן תַּעֲשֶׂה־לּוֹ אִמּוֹ וְהַעַלְתָה לוֹ מִיָּמִים יָמִימָה בַּעֲלוֹתָהּ אֶת־אִישָׁהּ לִזְבֹּחַ אֶת־זֶבַח הַיָּמִים׃
וּבֵרַךְ עֵלִי אֶת־אֶלְקָנָה וְאֶת־אִשְׁתּוֹ וְאָמַר יָשֵׂם יהוה לְךָ זֶרַע מִן־הָאִשָּׁה הַזֹּאת תַּחַת הַשְּׁאֵלָה אֲשֶׁר שָׁאַל לַיהוה וְהָלְכוּ לִמְקֹמוֹ׃
כִּי־פָקַד יהוה אֶת־חַנָּה וַתַּהַר וַתֵּלֶד שְׁלֹשָׁה־בָנִים וּשְׁתֵּי בָנוֹת וַיִּגְדַּל הַנַּעַר שְׁמוּאֵל עִם־יהוה׃
וְעֵלִי זָקֵן מְאֹד וְשָׁמַע אֵת כָּל־אֲשֶׁר יַעֲשׂוּן בָּנָיו לְכָל־יִשְׂרָאֵל וְאֵת אֲשֶׁר־יִשְׁכְּבוּן אֶת־הַנָּשִׁים הַצֹּבְאוֹת פֶּתַח אֹהֶל מוֹעֵד׃
וַיֹּאמֶר לָהֶם לָמָּה תַעֲשׂוּן כַּדְּבָרִים הָאֵלֶּה אֲשֶׁר אָנֹכִי שֹׁמֵעַ אֶת־דִּבְרֵיכֶם רָעִים מֵאֵת כָּל־הָעָם אֵלֶּה׃
אַל בָּנָי כִּי לוֹא־טוֹבָה הַשְּׁמֻעָה אֲשֶׁר אָנֹכִי שֹׁמֵעַ מַעֲבִרִים עַם־יהוה׃
אִם־יֶחֱטָא אִישׁ לְאִישׁ וּפִלְלוֹ אֱלֹהִים וְאִם לַיהוה יֶחֱטָא־אִישׁ מִי יִתְפַּלֶּל־לוֹ וְלֹא יִשְׁמְעוּ לְקוֹל אֲבִיהֶם כִּי־חָפֵץ יהוה לַהֲמִיתָם׃
וְהַנַּעַר שְׁמוּאֵל הֹלֵךְ וְגָדֵל וָטוֹב גַּם עִם־יהוה וְגַם עִם־אֲנָשִׁים׃
וַיָּבֹא אִישׁ־אֱלֹהִים אֶל־עֵלִי וַיֹּאמֶר אֵלָיו כֹּה אָמַר יהוה הֲנִגְלֹה נִגְלֵיתִי אֶל־בֵּית אָבִיךָ בִּהְיוֹתָם בְּמִצְרַיִם לְבֵית פַּרְעֹה׃
וּבָחֹר אֹתוֹ מִכָּל־שִׁבְטֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל לִי לְכֹהֵן לַעֲלוֹת עַל־מִזְבְּחִי לְהַקְטִיר קְטֹרֶת לָשֵׂאת אֵפוֹד לְפָנָי וָאֶתְּנָה לְבֵית אָבִיךָ אֶת־כָּל־אִשֵּׁי בְּנֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל׃
לָמָּה תִבְעֲטוּ בְּזִבְחִי וּבְמִנְחָתִי אֲשֶׁר צִוִּיתִי מָעוֹן וַתְּכַבֵּד אֶת־בָּנֶיךָ מִמֶּנִּי לְהַבְרִיאֲכֶם מֵרֵאשִׁית כָּל־מִנְחַת יִשְׂרָאֵל לְעַמִּי׃[/right]

Thanks for these Ken.

The כָּכָה יַעֲשׂוּ לְכָל־יִשְׂרָאֵל הַבָּאִים שָׁם בְּשִׁלֹה׃ in v. 14b seems a particularly good response to Steve's query. No surprise that the LXX gives for it κατὰ τάδε ἐποίουν παντὶ Ισραηλ τοῖς ἐρχομένοις θῦσαι κυρίῳ ἐν Σηλωμ.
Mark Lightman