Esther 3:7

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Kenneth Greifer

Esther 3:7

Post by Kenneth Greifer »

I would like to suggest an explanation for Esther 3:7 that I think is interesting, and I was wondering if anyone has ever seen it in any commentary.

I think it says the king cast lots "from the day to the day, and from the month to the twelfth month." Instead of meaning he cast a lot for every day, maybe it means he put the lot on the number of the day and caused it to fall onto the same number, and then he put the lot on the number of the month and caused it to fall onto the twelfth month.

Esther 3:12 says it was the thirteenth day of the first month, so he could have put the lot on the number 13 and then it fell onto the number 13 again, then he put it on the number one for the month and made it fall onto the number 12 for the twelfth month. This way he cast the lot from the day to the day (13) and from the month (1) to the twelfth month (12) and got the date, the thirteenth day of the twelfth month.

I think this idea makes more sense and explains how the date was chosen better than the usual explanation that he cast lots for every date of the year.

Kenneth Greifer
Kenneth Greifer