1 Samuel 1:5

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
kwrandolph

Re: 1 Samuel 1:5

Post by kwrandolph »

Kenneth Greifer wrote:The geminate verb spelled alef pay pay might be alef pay in this quote.

Kenneth Greifer
Kenneth: While there are many verbs that are geminate in the dictionaries in order to make up triliteral roots, אפף is not one of them. Rather it is a true ayen doubled verb that is used only five times in Tanakh. In those five times it has the meaning of “to beset, hem in” as in the attacks from an enemy, and is found in 2 Samuel 22:5, Jonah 2:6, Psalms 18:5, 40:13, 116:3.

As for אף in the phrase אף כי appears to be a word with no known verbal root.

And the word אפים in the phrase אפים כי seems to be connected with the noun אף, used in a way not too far removed from “on the face of” in English.

Isn’t linguistics fun?

Karl W. Randolph.
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

We should not, nor need not, shy away from confronting the manifest possibility that אפים is 'noses'. Having slaughtered and roasted some sheep, it befell apparently upon the spurned childless wife to eat up ALL the אפים up to a clean dish. But, out of some latent love and resurgent compassion, the pious ELKANAH spared his gifted wife חנה the unpleasant lot of finishing off all the noses, allowing her to redeem herself with only ONE portion.

Isaac Fried, Boston University
rogercarr1985

Post by rogercarr1985 »

Hi my name is Roger Carr I am new to this forum and I don't know Hebrew as everyone else does. But I thought to say concerning the double portion part would mean that Elkana was putting his trust in God by believing that G OD would provide a son that's why the double portion. Does that make sense?