root *W'L

For discussions which focus upon specific words, their origin, meaning, relationship to other ANE languages.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
chimera

root *W'L

Post by chimera »

slm,
It appears that jael "mountain goat" derives from root *W'L "to ascend". It produced Assyrian i-alu " sacred ibex goat" and Babylonian i-al "ram". As speculation, there is also Gr ouranos "heaven" and Welsh ial "high meadow" and Hinduism yali " sacred horned beast" as in Ethiopian walu .
Eli the High Priest is "ascended. gone up" ( El Al airlines) but Elihu, Elijah and Elohim, Eli refer to G-D. Maybe that root is "strong" but it's hard to find facts.
In Moses' time there was the error of making an Egyptian golden calf and Babylon's high priest chucked a goat into the Euphrates river each New Year to purefy the water.....The main god Marduk's beast was a horned lion , possibly with ibex horns of the i-alu.
Is it possible that *WL was the generic heavens with nations having literal goats etc as animals that walked on literal hills up high as meaning the gods ? Greeks had Uranus the son of the earth. In Hebrew, maybe it became the abstract term for the monotheist who allows no idols?
Isaac Fried

Re: root *W'L

Post by Isaac Fried »

Indeed, יעל is an extension of the uni-literal root ל L, 'high'. Related to יעל are איל, 'ram'; שוּעל, 'fox?'; and תוֹלעת, 'worm'.

By this root we have also: אֵל, 'god'; מעלה = מה-עלה, 'grade'; עָלֶה 'leaf'; עוּל, 'young adult'; עוֹל, 'yoke'; מעיל, 'coat'; לוּל, 'staircase, ladder'; ליל, 'night, enveloping darkness'; עלילה, 'long story'; and more.

Isaac Fried, Boston University
Isaac Fried

Re: root *W'L

Post by Isaac Fried »

T the animal names we may add also the tree names אֵשֶׁל of Gen. 21:33 and 1Sam. 22:6, and the צְאֶל of Job 40:21.

Isaac Fried, Boston University