Esther fasted full three days?

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Danielkim

Re: Esther fasted full three days?

Post by Danielkim »

SteveMiller wrote:Daniel,
In addition to what Karl has said, I'd like to add that "the 3rd day", יּ֣וֹם הַשְּׁלִישִׁ֗י, with the definite article, is used 29 times in the Old Testament, and it never means "Tuesday". It always means the 3rd day after some previous event. This is what is used in Esther 5:1.

In modern Hebrew, י֥וֹם שְׁלִישִֽׁי, without the definite article means Tuesday. The only occurrence of this expression in the Bible is in Gen 1:13.

So Esther 5:1 cannot mean "Tuesday". It means on the 3rd day of the fast.
If you think Third day never refers to Tuesday? how would you express Tuesday in bible language?

Third Day in Creation is Tuesday in Creation week.

It is basic common sense.
SteveMiller

Post by SteveMiller »

In the OT, to say Tuesday, you would say 2nd day of the week.

The 3rd day of creation was Tuesday, and it was also the third day following day one.
If you want to call the 3rd day of creation Tuesday, it doesn't matter because Esther 5:1 is a different phrase.
Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit
http://www.voiceInWilderness.info
Honesty is the best policy. - George Washington (1732-99)
Danielkim

Post by Danielkim »

very disappointing.

Esther said " I will fast in the same way". it means she will fast three days, Night and Day before she stands before the throne of king. (4:16)

why can't we trust her decision on fasting?
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Danielkim wrote:very disappointing.

Esther said " I will fast in the same way". it means she will fast three days, Night and Day before she stands before the throne of king. (4:16)

why can't we trust her decision on fasting?
We can trust her, and we do.

When we English speakers say “day and night”, we mean something different than what the ancient Hebrews understood by the same phrase. We have already described to you what the ancient Hebrews understood by that phrase, so it is now with you with whom we are disappointed, not Esther. I say again, you need to read it as an ancient Hebrew would have read it, not as a modern English speaker.

Karl W. Randolph.