Hosea 6:2 New translation and explanation

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
SteveMiller

Re: Hosea 6:2 New translation and explanation

Post by SteveMiller »

Hi Kenneth,
Leaving aside what we talked about before, I have other problems with your translation:
"more than the seas in the 3rd day He will raise us up."
God didn't raise up the seas in the 3rd day. He raised up the land.
The seas in the 3rd day were lower than they are today because the seas rose after Noah's flood so that today there is more sea than there was before Noah.

The emphasis of your translation is "more than the seas" because that starts the sentence, making it more important that God raising them up. You don't seem to have any feeling for these kind of subtleties of writing.

The expression "more than the seas" is never used anywhere else with your meaning.

As far as I know, you haven't found anything wrong with the common translation, which is much more understandable.

If this is poetry, then the common translation has meter: 8.8.6 - which is common for songs.
Yours has 4.11.6 - which doesn't seem poetic.

I think that in addition to studying the Bible, you should also read good literature, like Dickens. (Victorian English literature was influenced a lot by the Bible.) You can listen to the audio books when you drive. Then you will appreciate what makes good writing.

fyi - I do not understand this verse to be directly about Christ's resurrection but symbolic of it. It is about the Jewish people because of the plural pronouns. God will spiritually revive the Jewish people after 2 days (2,000 years) from when He temporarily cast them off, which occurred at Christ's crucifixion. This adds details to Hosea 3:4-5.
Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit
http://www.voiceInWilderness.info
Honesty is the best policy. - George Washington (1732-99)
Kenneth Greifer

Post by Kenneth Greifer »

Steve,

I think Genesis 1:9-10 says that G-d gathered the water together from all over the earth's surface into seas, so the water was lower when it covered the whole earth, in my opinion. Where does it say He raised the land?

Kenneth Greifer
Kenneth Greifer
SteveMiller

Post by SteveMiller »

Kenneth,
It doesn't say He raised the land, but that's how I understood it that He made the dry land to appear. Either that or he lowered the sea beds or both. (Ps 104:6-9 which probably refers to Noah's flood)

How could the water covering the land be lower than the seas?

Wouldn't today's seas be higher than that because of the extra water added during Noah's flood?
Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit
Kenneth Greifer

Steve,

Somehow the water covering the whole earth was gathered together into the seas. It does not say how it was done. It doesn't matter if the land was raised or the sea beds lowered as long as the water filled up the seas. I assume that water covering the whole earth would be deeper once it was all gathered together into seas somehow. The deepness of the seas would be higher from putting all of the water together instead of being spread over all of the earth's surface.

Kenneth Greifer
Kenneth Greifer
SteveMiller

Post by SteveMiller »

Kenneth Greifer wrote:Steve,

Somehow the water covering the whole earth was gathered together into the seas. It does not say how it was done. It doesn't matter if the land was raised or the sea beds lowered as long as the water filled up the seas. I assume that water covering the whole earth would be deeper once it was all gathered together into seas somehow. The deepness of the seas would be higher from putting all of the water together instead of being spread over all of the earth's surface.

Kenneth Greifer
The water gathered together into seas would be deeper than before, but not higher. The land would be higher.
Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit
Kenneth Greifer

Steve,

If the water on the earth's surface was gathered together and went from ten feet high all over the earth to one hundred feet deep in the seas (these are not actual figures), then the sea level rose, even if it is lower than the land still. So, Hosea 6:2 , if it says what I think, could say "He will cause us to rise more than the seas in the third day." If more water goes to the sea, it rises, although, you could say it becomes deeper too.

Kenneth Greifer
Kenneth Greifer
SteveMiller

Post by SteveMiller »

Kenneth,
If there was no water or land added to the earth then the height of the seas had to go lower as the land went higher.
Whether you consider the height of the seas to be relative to the land, or relative to the center of the earth, it had to go down.
The bottom of the sea had to go down too.
Like Psalm 104 says, The mountains rose and the valleys sank to where God ordained their place.
Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit
Kenneth Greifer

Steve,

You are saying that the water on the surface of the earth, even if it was 10 feet high, was higher than the water that was gathered into the seas where it could be 100 feet high. (I am making up numbers for fun). You are saying that the water level of the sea did not rise up because the land was raised or the sea bed was lowered even if the actual depth of the water went up. I think the seas were caused to rise up even if they they did not stand up above the land. I think a sea (over the whole earth's surface) was caused to rise when it was gathered into smaller seas that were deeper.

You are saying that the seas were lowered from 10 feet to 100 feet in deepness when they were gathered together. Maybe we are both right. The water level rose, but the actual height of the sea might have been lowered compared to the land. I am looking at the height of the water itself, which I think rose.

How do you know that the seas did not rise up over some of the land when the water was gathered together, so the sea and the land rose? You are assuming that water stayed at the same height because the land rose or the sea bed went down the perfect amount to keep the water level at the original height. Some of the land rose, but the seas might have also risen some places. Maybe the land and sea bed did not go up or down the perfect amount that the sea stayed at the same height that it was before the water was gathered together.

Your argument is interesting, but I don't agree.

Kenneth Greifer
Kenneth Greifer
Kirk Lowery
Site Admin

Post by Kirk Lowery »

Friends,

The discussion has wandered away from biblical Hebrew. Let's get back on track.

Thanks!
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD
B-Hebrew Site Administrator & Moderator
blog: https://blogs.emdros.org/eh