Malachi 3:1

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Michael W Abernathy

Post by Michael W Abernathy »

הִנְנִ֤י שֹׁלֵחַ֙ מַלְאָכִ֔י וּפִנָּה־דֶ֖רֶךְ לְפָנָ֑י וּפִתְאֹם֩ יָב֨וֹא אֶל־הֵיכָלֹ֜ו הָאָד֣וֹן׀ אֲשֶׁר־אַתֶּ֣ם מְבַקְשִׁ֗ים וּמַלְאַ֨ךְ הַבְּרִ֜ית אֲשֶׁר־אַתֶּ֤ם חֲפֵצִים֙ הִנֵּה־בָ֔א אָמַ֖ר יְהוָ֥ה צְבָאֽוֹת׃
is usually translated something like, Behold, I am sending my servant and he will prepare the way before me and he will come suddenly to his temple; the messenger of the covenant in whom you delight, behold he is coming says the Lord of hosts.
I can understand that translation but I normally think of אֲשֶׁר relating to the nearest noun that it can. Following that rule I would anticipate the translation, "the messenger of the covenant in which you delight." Since I cannot find a single translation that suggests this alternative is possible I am wondering if I'm missing a clue that makes this clear.
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy
S_Walch

Re: Malachi 3:1

Post by S_Walch »

I believe its more that אשר is in reference to מלאך הברִית as a whole, rather than just either הברִית or מלאך separately.
Ste Walch
SteveMiller

Re: Malachi 3:1

Post by SteveMiller »

That is interesting, Michael.
Looking at other instances of asher following 2 nouns acting as a whole in Malachi:
Mal 2:11 The sanctuary of the Lord, which He loved. asher refers to "sanctuary of the Lord" as a whole.
2:14 wife of your youth, whom you have dealt treacherously against. again asher refers to "wife of your youth" as a whole.
4:4 the law of Moses My servant, which I commanded to him. again asher refers to "the law of Moses My servant" as a whole.
So Ste is right.
Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit
http://www.voiceInWilderness.info
Honesty is the best policy. - George Washington (1732-99)